PDA

View Full Version : Large format lasers KERN

Jay Selway
08-20-2015, 2:51 PM
Other than Kern, what are large format systems are worth looking at? I love the sheer mass of the Kern systems but the usability is pretty horrible from what I've heard.

I also stumbled across LaserPhotonics, who create some CRAZY fast machines (albeit smaller)

Tony Lenkic
08-20-2015, 2:54 PM
Might want take look at Eurolasers for large format.

Mike Null
08-20-2015, 3:12 PM
Jay

I've known a few people who either owned or operated Kern machines and they were unanimous in their praise of the equipment. I can't say I've ever heard a negative remark about them.

Jay Selway
08-20-2015, 3:26 PM
Yeah the only complaint I heard was that there are too many settings which makes it pretty difficult to use (compared to epilog or trotec).

I also just spoke with a guy from Laser Photonics. They make the insanely fast machine in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_7rMrLeB-E. Not cheap but damn, I gotta try one of those.

Dan Hintz
08-20-2015, 4:48 PM
Yeah the only complaint I heard was that there are too many settings which makes it pretty difficult to use (compared to epilog or trotec).

I also just spoke with a guy from Laser Photonics. They make the insanely fast machine in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_7rMrLeB-E. Not cheap but damn, I gotta try one of those.

That's a galvo system... completely different monster than a carriage system.

Keith Outten
08-20-2015, 5:24 PM
The Kern lasers are amazing machines capable of cutting metal if you have the need.

Trotec also has a new large bed laser, the SP300, here is the link to the YouTube video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EU0SsWgT3c&feature=em-subs_digest

Scott Shepherd
08-20-2015, 6:10 PM
I love the sheer mass of the Kern systems but the usability is pretty horrible from what I've heard.

I've never heard anything remotely like that from anyone. If I were to buy a large format tomorrow, it would be a Kern, without question. Outstanding company, outstanding product, outstanding people (the ones I have met).

Guy Hilliard
08-21-2015, 8:58 AM
Yes, the Kern control software has more controls than Trotec, Universal, and Epilog. Start delay (pierce) and power ramping / speed on corners are two of them. They are there to help make your parts just a little bit better and if they are not set correctly they can also make your life miserable. Is this a fault with the Kern? Not even remotely, it's just a more sophisticated control system for advanced applications and a more informed user.

Braden Todd
08-24-2015, 10:36 AM
Yes, the Kern control software has more controls than Trotec, Universal, and Epilog. Start delay (pierce) and power ramping / speed on corners are two of them. They are there to help make your parts just a little bit better and if they are not set correctly they can also make your life miserable. Is this a fault with the Kern? Not even remotely, it's just a more sophisticated control system for advanced applications and a more informed user.

Very well said!! I love my Kern and see it as a major advantage in my shop. There is a learning curve compared to just hitting print, but if you're looking at a system like this you aren't looking to just hit print. For different materials you have to be able to control cutting and engraving beyond a standard set of pre loaded settings.