PDA

View Full Version : A nice surprise

Bob Glenn
08-20-2015, 2:27 PM
My eighteenth century wood shop has been lying fallow for the past three months due to my recovering from a major surgical procedure. I ventured up there today and was over whelmed by the wonderful smell that only raw wood can provide. It was good just be there with the half finished Windsor chair that I was trying to finish before my long time assistant's retirement at the end of July. I guess it will have to be a late gift.

I opened the closet door where I keep my stains, varnishes and linseed oils, and was greeted by another welcome aroma. Further investigation around the shop prompted me to open a jar that I had left on the bench right before going to the hospital. Not so good.......Hide glue sitting for three months!

It's good to be up and running again. We often overlook life's little pleasures. Bob

george wilson
08-20-2015, 2:36 PM
Good smells are important. They evoke pleasant connections. When I was the Musical Instrument Maker in Williamsburg,my wife liked the smell I had about me. Later,when I was persuaded to become the Toolmaker,that smell was there no more. One day I was using linseed oil. When I got home,she was delighted that the smell was back! I never was crazy about the smell of linseed oil,but she really likes it. Turns out later,her grandmother's closet,where my wife played office when she was little,had the smell of linseed oil. But,she didn't know what it was.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-20-2015, 3:03 PM
Welcome back and a continued speedy recovery. One of my favorite smells is cocobolo rosewood when freshly cut. Also planing sugar maple makes me crave pancakes .

Gear oil, on the other hand, is a smell I just cannot stand to smell. I am not sure why, but I hate that smell.

Pedro Reyes
08-20-2015, 3:37 PM
Wish you a speedy recovery.

Good smells are important. They evoke pleasant connections. When I was the Musical Instrument Maker in Williamsburg,my wife liked the smell I had about me. Later,when I was persuaded to become the Toolmaker,that smell was there no more. One day I was using linseed oil. When I got home,she was delighted that the smell was back! I never was crazy about the smell of linseed oil,but she really likes it. Turns out later,her grandmother's closet,where my wife played office when she was little,had the smell of linseed oil. But,she didn't know what it was.

Awesome story, thanks for sharing.

Smell I think is our most primitive sense, and I read that it is the one that best triggers memories (knowingly or not), much better than pictures, sounds or tastes.

I also don't care much for linseed oil smell. I like planed walnut, and maybe I am confusing gear oil, but the attractions at Disneyland smelled like gear oil, so that smell brings fond memories of 35+ years ago.

Pedro

Izzy Camire
08-20-2015, 3:41 PM
I wish you a speedy recovery.

Back from the fall to late spring I was pretty sick with GI issues. I as on a very restricted diet. Once I started feeling better I wanted a pizza (ya I know it isn't good for you but I wanted one). Anyway I went to the pizza shop to pick it up and as I walked in I was met with the smell only a pizza place has. I breathed in deep and got a smile on my face. I chuckled inside at how silly it was to be enjoying the smell of pizza but it was enjoyable to me. Glad you enjoyed the smells of your shop. I truly understand how you felt.

Stew Denton
08-20-2015, 6:52 PM
Hi Bob,

Glad you are starting to be better, and I hope you can go back at it in the near future.

I too like the smell of linseed oil. My wife, though, does not like it at all.

Stew

Jim Koepke
08-20-2015, 10:01 PM
Here's to a speedy recovery.

I love the smells of my shop.

I used to go into the used tool shop (now closed) in town and tell them I was coming in for aroma therapy.

My wife always takes a sniff of wood items I bring into the house to show her.

jtk

Kevin Adams
08-21-2015, 5:12 AM
Thanks, Bob, you just made my day!

Best wishes for continued return to good health and here's to enjoying life!

Take care,
Kevin

Dave Cav
08-22-2015, 1:21 PM
When I'm teaching in the wood shop it's common for another teacher or administrator to come in and make a comment about the wonderful smell in the shop.

It's funny, they never say that about the welding lab.

Bill Houghton
08-22-2015, 2:25 PM
The smells of well-seasoned Douglas fir or western pine always take me back to my grandfather's shop, where I fooled around for hours. I'd often go out there during family events, because it was more fun than staying in with the adults.

And fresh Doug fir reminds me of working with my father on the house I grew up in.