PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with this?

Rob Littleton
08-22-2005, 9:22 PM
A buddy of mine was feeling generous today and handed me (along with 10 pound of each screws sizes from quarter inch to 4 inch, FREE) this slab of mesquite. It looks like a table piece but I am trying to think what to do with it other than the obvious, a table.

Thanks

Keith Burns
08-22-2005, 9:41 PM
One good turn deserves another......send it to me.:D

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-22-2005, 9:47 PM
Picture one................... SooooooooooooooooooooooooEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Pig.

Razerbacks would LOVE a table out of it!

Bruce

Rob Littleton
08-22-2005, 9:49 PM
"confused"

Picture one................... SooooooooooooooooooooooooEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Pig.

Razerbacks would LOVE a table out of it!

Bruce

Jim Becker
08-22-2005, 9:53 PM
It would make a lovely table in my great room... ;)

Seriously, aside from the obvious already joked about, the only other thing I might consider it for is a decorative wall hanging. But my preference would be for a very nice natural edge table with a creative three-point support structure under it, a la Nakashima.

Keith Christopher
08-22-2005, 10:09 PM
What are the dimensions ? I love that there is no twist in the piece. VERY nice.

Sam Blasco
08-22-2005, 10:56 PM
That piece doesn't look stable. Holes and knots and checking, good grief man, thank heavens you didn't pay for that. I don't think you'll be happy with it no matter what you make of it. Send it to me so I can test it with all my devices. I'll get back to you ASAP to let you know if was any good or if I had to scrap it.... Honest. :D

Dan Forman
08-22-2005, 11:35 PM
You could carve it into a seat for that there motorcyle beside it. :D

Dan

Steve Schoene
08-22-2005, 11:49 PM
When a piece of wood just cries out to be a table, you shouldn't fight it.

Marc Spagnuolo
08-22-2005, 11:59 PM
I was comissioned to build this monkey pod table using the customer's materials and leg design. Perhaps it will give you some idea of what to do with it?

http://www.marcswoodcreations.com/images/Monkey_Table05_Medium_.JPG

Bill Fields
08-23-2005, 2:14 AM
Rob:

Looks like the beginnings of a striking wall hanging depicting an enraged javelina boar.

It's too thick for that, so previous suggestions for a table rule.

Don't forget--"enraged javelina boar".

You can spend some great time explaining that to non-Arizonans!

Best

BILL FIELDS

Bill Lewis
08-23-2005, 5:42 AM
Marc,

Thanks for posting that picture. That's inspiring!

I too was recently given a huge stack of crosscut slabs from a friend at work. Mostly Florida cypress, but some walnut and cherry mixed in too (I'll try to rememver to post a picture). I got the stuff sight unseen (he was moving), and was really not sure what to do with it. My friend used to use the stuff to make wall clocks, and a few of the pieces may end up as Christmas present clocks ;)
Anyway, Now I think I have a better idea on what to do with it, or at least a few of the larger pieces. How would you guys deal with the checking? epoxy filler with tinting?

John Hart
08-23-2005, 6:42 AM
Definitely a table lurking in there Rob. But then, what to do about legs? If it were me (and it's not) I would get some blackwood or ebony or something similar, make legs out of the black stuff, keep the black sawdust and fill the voids with epoxy/blackdust and give it a kick-butt finish. Gorgeous piece of wood!!:)

Jason Roehl
08-23-2005, 8:18 AM
I'll offer up something a little different, though maybe a tad sacreligious, too. Okay, here goes...slice it in half (GASP!) and make a pair of sitting benches, or even one bench with one piece as the seat and one as the back.

Rob Littleton
08-23-2005, 10:10 AM
Thanks for all your input.

In the third picture, I tried to show the thickness but bad pic I guess. Its about 1 inch think. There is (what looks like a grafting joint in the middle) some holes to fill but I aint sure if they are gonna be filled yet. I kinda like the natural look.

I love the monkey wood table and thanks for posting. I wanted to try and keep the natural edge on this slab but that said, I might have to lose it.

The legs.......good point on the dark wood. I was thinking maybe getting some thick branches of mesquite and making the legs out of small logs.

Thanks again guys for the input.

BTW, I like the bench idea :-)

Ken Fitzgerald
08-23-2005, 10:11 AM
Rob.....that piece could become a coffee table that would be the center of attention in someones "great room"! Nice dilema!

Charlie Plesums
08-23-2005, 10:51 AM
How moist is the wood? It doesn't show the usual signs of drying, like dust and faded edges, so if it is still green, I would worry about what it's shape and condition will be by the time it is dry. I wouldn't spend a lot of energy until I saw it dry.

On the other hand, if it is already dry, I vote for a table! I like the suggestion of dark legs, rather than log-style legs.

Jeff Sudmeier
08-23-2005, 12:29 PM
I vote for a table as well! I have been on the lookout for a nice table slab for our rec room. We have a log bar down there and a natural table like that would fit in wonderfully!

Rob Littleton
08-23-2005, 3:41 PM
Thanks Charles....

Yeah, this wood is DRY....It has sat in the guys shop since January (to my knowledge coz I would eye it everytime I went to his shop)......

He had it put through a thickness sander so the top is really smooth (apart from where it dropped in one corner. A hand sander can fix that).

Hmmm, dark legs huh...........interesting.

Maybe I'll just cut it up and use it for pens :-)

NOT!!!!

How moist is the wood? It doesn't show the usual signs of drying, like dust and faded edges, so if it is still green, I would worry about what it's shape and condition will be by the time it is dry. I wouldn't spend a lot of energy until I saw it dry.

On the other hand, if it is already dry, I vote for a table! I like the suggestion of dark legs, rather than log-style legs.