PDA

View Full Version : built in cabinets

Dick Heifner
08-22-2005, 8:45 PM
Hi all,
What is the best plywood for a built in shelf unit? This will be painted.
Thanks, Dick

Jim Becker
08-22-2005, 8:58 PM
I generally use birch, maple or poplar plywood for this and sometimes MDF for structure not including the shelving. MDO plywood would also be a good choice. (MDO is plywood covered with a paper surface which was specifically designed for painting...usually for sign-making) Since you likely want a smooth surface, you want a closed-grain wood. Oak plywood would not be a good choice for that by example... ;)

Ron Jones near Indy
08-22-2005, 9:05 PM
Once again I must agree with Mr. Becker! :)

Scott Parks
08-23-2005, 12:31 AM
I like to use the "paint grade" maple-birch plywood from Home Depot. I know others have complained about the quality, but I've never had a problem with it. It varies in price from $30-$40 per sheet (depending on the week). Don't forget to trim out the edges with some poplar, or like...

Norman Hitt
08-23-2005, 5:06 AM
I like to use the "paint grade" maple-birch plywood from Home Depot. I know others have complained about the quality, but I've never had a problem with it. It varies in price from $30-$40 per sheet (depending on the week). Don't forget to trim out the edges with some poplar, or like...

Hey Scott, I take it your "Move" was a success and your "I'll unload for Beer" Helpers worked out OK? :D Have you got your shop back in operation yet? What part of the Denver area did you locate to? Glad to see you back on the forum.

Phil Phelps
08-23-2005, 10:24 AM
I generally use birch, maple or poplar plywood for this and sometimes MDF for structure not including the shelving. MDO plywood would also be a good choice. (MDO is plywood covered with a paper surface which was specifically designed for painting...usually for sign-making) Since you likely want a smooth surface, you want a closed-grain wood. Oak plywood would not be a good choice for that by example... ;)
MDO is certainly paintable, but you won't get a spectacular finish, especially the higher the gloss. It's a cheap exterior plywood and you can see the imperfections in it when you try to achieve a superior finish. Not a good finish recommendation. Stick with the closed grain plywood. Maple is a good choice.

Von Bickley
08-23-2005, 10:28 AM
For painted cabinets, I like to use birch plywood faced with poplar. ;)

Gail O'Rourke
08-23-2005, 10:37 AM
Yes yes and yes, the birch, maple, poplar are great, Home depot often has sales for paint grade ply...if you ever hit it ($29.95) it is worth picking it up.

The trick to good finish is part the ply, and part a good oil based primer.....

here: birch ply, oil base, semi topcoat

Phil Phelps
08-23-2005, 11:16 AM
My closest HD had this Maple/Birch ply last fall. The guy didn't know if they were going to be carring it after that was gone, so I bought 30 sheets. $29.99, AND,,,,, It's a ful 3/4" !!!! Made all my cabiinets out of the stuff, including the underlayment of the granet tops. It's seemed like a waste for the granet, but it was only four dollars more than the fir junk. Gail, you are one of a few that know the importance of an oil base primer. Two thumbs up.