PDA

View Full Version : Frequency setting in LaserCut 5.3

Michele Welch
08-19-2015, 10:33 AM
I don't mean to sound like an idiot because I should probably already know this, but I've never played around with changing the frequency setting in my software for different materials. I actually just noticed it the other night and it's set at 20000. This seems awful high and I was looking at a thread on the laser cutting fb page and there was someone asking that question.

So, laser experts out there, let your voices be heard and tell me if I should mess with this setting or not. Also, is there maybe a chart somewhere to give starting points as to where to begin with different materials?

Thanks so much and have an awesome day!!

Bert Kemp
08-19-2015, 11:13 AM
Well don't feel bad Michele ,I've never even looked at mine don't even know were to find it. It was never mentioned when I was at Rabbit Laser and I'm thinkin if its not broke don't fix it. I mean my laser seems to cut and engrave fine the way it is, so why change things. Hell I don't even know what freq settings do duh:p

Michele Welch
08-19-2015, 3:43 PM
Well, from what I have found out, the frequency setting on my machine doesn't make a dadgum bit of difference because I'm using an analog power supply. I could change it but it wouldn't make any difference. So thanks for the responses!!!

Ray Scott
08-24-2015, 1:33 PM
Let me try to get you a technically accurate answer.

The 65x5 controllers from Leetro will output an ANALOG signal to the laser power supply. This means that the power level is specified as 0 to 5 VDC. Zero volts will represent the lowest wattage power level (0 watts output). The value of 5 VDC will represent the 100 percent command level. My understanding of the controller is that it does not send out any PWM signal. I can be quite sure of this by looking at the 6515 board... I notice the chip TLC5615. The TLC5615 chip is a digital to analog converter device. The digital portion is a 10-bit serial data string ... The output is a nice 0 to 5 VDC analog. I have noticed that the main problem with the analog signal might be some distortion from the on-board DC to DC voltage regulator. That regulator is normally clean... but can become damaged from a high voltage surge.

High voltage surges.. yes.. they damage all sorts of stuff.

The LaserCut 5.3 software is capable of working with many of the Leetro control boards. It might be that there are other boards that actually do have high frequency PWM signals for controlling the laser power. Most all import laser machines are using the High Voltage Laser Power Supply with analog command signals.

Thank You,

Dave Sheldrake
08-24-2015, 8:16 PM

The problem on cards inc and after the 6535 is the tube PSU, DC tubes rise times are a LOT slower than RF, so without pre-charge or an above Zer0 base line you won't really see much benefit.