PDA

View Full Version : Round up won't kill grass !!!

Clarence Martin
08-19-2015, 10:17 AM
Sprayed the Round Up around the shed to kill the grass . That was a few days ago. Grass is still green. Should I spray again or use something different.

Anthony Whitesell
08-19-2015, 10:19 AM
Which RoundUp? What was the active ingredient? How old is it?

Mel Fulks
08-19-2015, 10:25 AM
It is going to work, I would just wait. Since it will "grow itself to death" with that chemical , lack of water slows the process.

Lee Schierer
08-19-2015, 10:39 AM
If you read the instructions, it says that the plants need to be actively growing. Once the plants are mature and it is dry, it takes much longer for them to absorb the chemical and die.

Dennis Peacock
08-19-2015, 11:23 AM
I usually wait until it is both hot and dry out, as in no rain for several days and then I mix up 3 boxes of table salt with 2 gallons of hot water in a garden pump sprayer. I spray the grass with this all the way down to the ground and soak the ground around the plant just slightly. The next day, it's all brown and inside of a week, no more grass/weeds. I haven't done roundup in years. Too expensive for my pocket book. :)

Steve Peterson
08-19-2015, 11:48 AM
My experience is that Roundup takes about a week. Even in the springtime, it often looks like the grass is only slightly wilted by the 2nd or 3rd day. It might take even longer when it is hot and dry. Wait a few more days before trying something else.

Steve

Jerome Stanek
08-19-2015, 11:57 AM
I use a combination of 2 4 d and round up style herbicides

Ole Anderson
08-19-2015, 12:13 PM
It sure worked on my grass. I was spraying stone tree rings and dribbled a little bit as I was walking from one tree to another. At first I thought our lawn guy dropped some fertilizer and burned the grass until I realized what happened. Took almost a week to show up. And if you walk through an area where you sprayed RoundUp and then across the grass, in a week you will have dead grass the shape of foot prints. I know.

Bruce Page
08-19-2015, 12:45 PM
I had hit or miss results with RoundUp. I haven't found anything that Ortho Ground Clear wouldn't kill.

John McClanahan
08-19-2015, 12:48 PM
My experience is that Roundup takes about a week. Even in the springtime, it often looks like the grass is only slightly wilted by the 2nd or 3rd day. It might take even longer when it is hot and dry. Wait a few more days before trying something else.

Steve

Same here. I have brick sidewalks. Sometimes if I spray only part of a weed, only the part that is wetted turns brown while the rest of the weed stays green. This is with the ready to use bottle. I remember a time when overspray mist could kill half of the lawn.

John

Rich Enders
08-19-2015, 2:23 PM
Round-up takes two weeks here, but it eventually kills everything I spray. I never thought about it previously, but maybe our hot and dry is what makes it take so long.

David Ragan
08-19-2015, 4:04 PM
Realize that nothing will grow for a long time if the soil is salted. The ancients used to do it to more or less permanently wipe out a territory.

Matt Meiser
08-19-2015, 4:16 PM
My experience is that it takes longer than a few days. But then anything it got on will be very, very dead.

Todd Burch
08-19-2015, 6:07 PM
But then anything it got on will be very, very dead.

Ha! As opposed to just dead! Love it.

charlie knighton
08-19-2015, 6:57 PM
it has to be hot and no rain

Larry Frank
08-19-2015, 7:03 PM
It can take a week or more but it does get it. I use a different product for woody viny stuff...I think the Ortho poison ivy stuff which works on small bushes and poison ivy and oak.

I do not like some of the stuff which lasts a long time as it tends to run off down hill some.

Dave Lehnert
08-19-2015, 7:21 PM
Roundup takes about two weeks to work. Roundup kills through the roots up.

Mel Fulks
08-19-2015, 7:24 PM
The brush kill products like Larry mentioned seem to be made weaker every year. The Bayer product is quite weak. Went to a farm supply and bought gallon of Crossbow brush kill...that is the real stuff.

Anthony Whitesell
08-20-2015, 8:04 AM
The brush kill products like Larry mentioned seem to be made weaker every year. The Bayer product is quite weak. Went to a farm supply and bought gallon of Crossbow brush kill...that is the real stuff.

I keep three empty bottles on the shelf that have the % active ingredient and the dosing (TBSP/Gal). I correlate the new stuff to the old. So if a manufacturer reduces the % active ingredient by 10%, I increase the TBSP/Gal by 10% to maintain the concentration that I know works.

David Ragan
08-20-2015, 8:43 AM
How about a knock out blow to English Ivy?

Round up works somewhat, but only the few leaves it actually lands on, if it is drought stressed.

My understanding is the ivy has a waxy coat that prevents the toxins from gaining entry.

I planted some several years ago for ground cover, now I wish I hadn't. Nothing works very well. Maybe I need some of the Crossbow brush kill?

Mel Fulks
08-20-2015, 10:11 AM
You can mix a little dish detergent in the Crossbow brush kill to make it stick better,and not just roll off. There may be a best time of year to spray ivy. For poison ivy the best months are July and August as the plant sap is going back down to roots and takes the poison with it. I had to buy a whole gallon of concentrate but it's much stronger ,and cheaper per ounce than the Borg product.

Anthony Whitesell
08-20-2015, 11:41 AM
I always by concentrate. Then I can increase the concentration to what works. A writeup I recently saw on RoundUp Poison Ivy described how it worked. The Glyphosate is the weed killer and the Triclopyr is to break down the waxy coating. The drawback to this product is the Glyphosate is KFA. I plan on mixing the Triclophyr (found straight in Ortho Poison Ivy and Brush Killer) with a straigtht 2 4 d salt product to kill some violet that is popping up around the yard.

Erik Loza
08-20-2015, 3:55 PM
In for results on what works best on leaves with waxy coatings. The complex behind us planted Asiatic Jasmine as a ground cover and it is incredibly invasive, coing through our fenceline. It as a waxy leaf and seems to be resistant to the regular roundup.

Erik

Larry Frank
08-20-2015, 7:11 PM
For waxy leaves,I agree a little dish washing soap works. Also, spraying when it is cool and dew on plants works better.

I also have gone to the farm co-op store and gotten generic roundup and brush killer...cheaper and works.

Myk Rian
08-20-2015, 7:23 PM
1 gal vinegar
1/2 cup Dawn detergent
2 cups epson salts

Guaranteed to work without making chemical companies rich with their toxic formulas.

Dave Lehnert
08-20-2015, 9:41 PM
I was in the Lawn and Garden bizz for over twenty years,
One point the manufacture always made about weed killers were to mix them exactly as instructed. The weed killers needed the proper mix of water or they would not work. Customers mistakenly think more is better.

Mel Fulks
08-20-2015, 9:57 PM
I start by following the instructions, but increase when needed. They make no secret of altering directions to make weaker solutions. I've noticed generic roundup with same percentage of active ingredient does not work as fast as real Roundup,not going to buy generic anymore since it does not save me any money.

Bryan Rocker
08-21-2015, 11:26 AM
Keep in mind one important thing about Round up, you need to make sure you apply it when its not to hot or cold. When it works its a champ, Keep in mind that the Poison Ivy formula is much less effective on grass

Jerome Stanek
08-21-2015, 11:53 AM
I guess living in the country and helping out a crop service that sprays herbicides I got spoiled

Clarence Martin
08-22-2015, 9:46 PM
It's the ACE Hardware brand of Round Up I bought. in the ready to use bottle. Will that work on Honey Locust ?

Mel Fulks
08-22-2015, 10:06 PM
Clarence, I hope I did not confuse you with my comment about not buying any more store brand roundup. My experience has been that the store brands work slower,but do work. Roundup has even mentioned in their ads that there product works faster. Since I have compared solutions with same percentage of the active ingredient I have to wonder what is different. You should be able to find answer to your honey locust question by looking at the kill list that usually comes with the product.

David Ragan
08-26-2015, 2:02 PM
1 gal vinegar
1/2 cup Dawn detergent
2 cups epson salts

Guaranteed to work without making chemical companies rich with their toxic formulas.

So, if I understand, this will pentrate the waxy leaves, and not 'salt' the ground, where nothing will grow for generations?