PDA

View Full Version : Bottle Stoppers

Edward Weingarden
08-18-2015, 3:40 PM
I've never turned bottle stoppers before. I read the methods on the Ruth Niles web site but still have a question. Whether you use the mandrel or a carriage bolt to hold the stopper, do you need to tap the wood blank to screw the mandrel/bolt on? Thanks.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-18-2015, 4:11 PM
One of Ruth's mandrels is also a tap, so you drill the hole and the mandrel taps the blank for you. Awesome! I still would use the plain mandrel, and tap the blank if you have taps available, because the mandrel is the same diameter as the stopper, so your "transition joint" can be made pretty seamless. If you use a bolt, and you can, you're guessing at that thickness, or measuring and adjusting.

Peter Fabricius
08-18-2015, 8:44 PM
HI Ed,
Drill your blank with a 5/16" bit about 1" deep. Make sure you are drilling square to the blank.
Tap with a 3/8" tap and use CA in the hole if the wood wants to tear a little.
Screw on to your Shop made mandrel (a cut off 3/8" bolt with a nut screwed on the threads fully. Now find or shape a thick washer to 3/4" diameter to use as your sizing bushing.
Works great, I have been doing the bolt thing for 10+ years.
Peter F.

Edward Weingarden
08-19-2015, 9:03 AM
Thanks for the info.

John King
08-19-2015, 12:21 PM
HI Ed,
Drill your blank with a 5/16" bit about 1" deep. Make sure you are drilling square to the blank.
Tap with a 3/8" tap and use CA in the hole if the wood wants to tear a little.
Screw on to your Shop made mandrel (a cut off 3/8" bolt with a nut screwed on the threads fully. Now find or shape a thick washer to 3/4" diameter to use as your sizing bushing.
Works great, I have been doing the bolt thing for 10+ years.
Peter F.

Harden the hole with thin CA after drilling and before tapping. - John