PDA

View Full Version : Drying ash for handles

Allan Wright
08-18-2015, 11:36 AM
I have a friend who has some ash he's giving me from trees he dropped. I mostly want it for tool handles. I'm wondering if I should just get some 3"-4" diameter branches and cut them slightly over length and anchor seal the ends and use that, or should I get larger pieces and split them with an axe into rough board-shaped pieces to dry?

I plan to grab some larger pieces for bowls and plates as well. I'm assuming I'll either anchor seal them whole, or turn some into rough bowl blanks.

daryl moses
08-18-2015, 12:02 PM
I would NOT use the branches unless that was all I could get. Pieces off the main trunk would be better IMO.

Dale Gillaspy
08-18-2015, 12:04 PM
I would avoid branch wood if possible. You might be OK, but branch wood has stresses in it that trunk wood usually does not. Branch wood is under tension on the top of the branch, and compression on the bottom. When it gets cut, those tensions get released. That leaves it more prone to split. If they are small tools like screwdrivers, you probably won't have much of an issue. If if was me, I think I would try and use longer spindle cut pieces of trunk. Cut them into about 2" squares, seal the ends, and let them dry.

Allan Wright
08-18-2015, 12:39 PM
I'm glad I asked. Thanks for the advice. I'll get a couple extra trunk pieces and rip them on the chain saw until I can get them cut safely on the table saw into 2" square blanks. Unfortunately my band saw is very small. If I had a bigger one roughing up the blanks would be a lot easier.

Reed Gray
08-18-2015, 1:54 PM
Splitting them with an axe or fro is the best way because then the blanks will follow the grain. Split them over size, rough turn round, round over the ends, seal and let dry.

robo hippy

Dale Miner
08-19-2015, 10:14 AM
Generally, wood from near the outer portion of the trunk is better for handles. The growth rings will be closer together and the wood will be stronger and less brittle. This is especially true if hammer handles are the intended use.

Wes Ramsey
08-19-2015, 10:53 AM
Great thread guys. I have a pile of ash I picked up last week I was planning to use for firewood. Guess I'll be saving a few of the trunk chunks for future handles!

Reed Gray
08-19-2015, 11:09 AM
The plain white ash does not sell well for bowls, at least it didn't for me. However, if you get the stuff that has the 'olive' heart wood, you can't keep it in stock. The white will age to a very pretty amber color as it gets used a lot. I do know that it is used for wood baskets, and they pound the wood to get the rings to separate. I think they prefer spring wood with high water content.

robo hippy

Allan Wright
08-20-2015, 11:21 AM
Thanks for all the extra info guys! Great resource as always.

I'll look for any pieces with olive heart wood Robo Hippy. If I find any I'll see what I can do with it.