PDA

View Full Version : Just a walk-about...

steven c newman
08-17-2015, 5:33 PM
Needed to stretch things out a bit. Trying to loosen the lower back up by taking a long walk....three blocks each way....

Stopped at a place ( shhh, secret location stuff) and looked around....a selection of wood bodied jointers.....some even had an iron in the them...nah.

Main floor was a wash. Most wanted way too much...those Jointers? $15 -20 a piece...

So, wandered down a flight of stairs to a basement of sorts....could really smell the rust.....ah, way back in a corner, a "new" vendor had a few things sitting out...

A Capewell #5? Painted bright red? steel toad, er, frog? missing the wheel and it's bolt...@ $15? nah
Couple of wooden crates on the floor...three braces (no bits?) and a hammer or two..hmmmm

Grabbed ONE brace. Looked up towards the wall...five handsaws @ $10 a piece? maybe some other day...that thumbhole one will need a little bit of work..

So, went upstairs and paid the $7 + tax..and walked the three blocks home.

This is what came in the door of the house with me...
10" holdall??? eh, not quite. After a trip to the rehab center..
And found a name, at least. A clipped-corners box showed up on the chuck. Made in USA beside it, STANLEY inside it.....kept cleaning the red stuff off......No. 945 10 IN. showed up on an arm, with a STANELY stamped on the other side of that arm. Could see ball bearings in the end handle...jaws still had their springs..
So...might have been worth the walk? back felt a little better, anyway. :D

Bill White
08-17-2015, 5:39 PM
Now wait just a darned minute! That 945 is just like MINE!
It was my Dad's. The plating is shot, but it works like new.
Good find on your walk.
Bill

steven c newman
08-17-2015, 11:31 PM
On the walk back home, ran into a roofing crew. They were trying to see where the thunderstorm was coming from....Lead carpenter did know what I was carrying, at least. He just couldn't figure out WHY I would want to use such a thing. Declared it as just for grunt work, too much hard work for him. Looked over at the truck they had....DeWalt stuff all over the place. Times have sure changed....

Jim Koepke
08-18-2015, 2:07 AM
Looked over at the truck they had....DeWalt stuff all over the place.

I bet my brace and I could drill more 1" holes through 4" lumber than the battery on a DeWalt.

jtk

Chris Hachet
08-21-2015, 10:07 AM
Neat finds...!

Al Launier
08-21-2015, 10:32 AM
That's steal! Did you get visiting rights too?

Pat Barry
08-21-2015, 10:56 AM
I bet my brace and I could drill more 1" holes through 4" lumber than the battery on a DeWalt.

jtk

You may be fast Jim, but you'd never keep up with the DeWalt, and if you were paying your carpenters by the hour, you'd probably fire them for using a brace and bit for more than a couple specialty holes.

Stew Denton
08-21-2015, 11:09 AM
Hey Steven,

It looks like ya did good to me. Very nice brace and nice rehab job.

Stew