PDA

View Full Version : New lathe help.

Lee Krause
08-17-2015, 12:03 PM
Good morning!
First of all thanks for letting me be a part of the forums!

I've read a lot of threads here and on other forums concerning some of the newer mini, midi and full size lathes out now.

A little back story on my turning. When I first started turning, a few years ago, I went out and bought the cheapest Harbor Freight lathe they had to offer. I turned a few pieces, made some shavings, and had a good time. But over time the cheapness of my purchase began to fall apart. It became a daily struggle to work on the stupid thing every time I wanted to turn. I didn't listen to the advice of "get the best lathe you can afford". So here I am 3 years later looking the "best lathe I can afford". I've looked on criagslist for anything that looks decent used with 200 miles of me and the nearest Woodcraft is 100 miles from me north or south. I can't find anything used for a good price. The other issue is that there's no turning clubs in my area. Again, Birmingham is the closest and an hour and a half away. I'd really love to have a Powermatic, Robust, or any of the lathes in the Professional class, but that's WAY out of my price range. I'd really like to turn bowls and know that a 12-12 1/2" swing would limit the size of the bowl that I could turn. I'm gathering the parts to build a bowl lathe over the next year, but I'd like to buy something for other projects that I can turn on until, if ever, I get the parts.

I have about a $750 dollar budget and all the tools required for turning except the lathe. I would buy used, just can't find anything locally.
I have been looking at 4:
Full size Grizzly G0462, but the 600 rpm at the lowest speed concerns me for bowls.
Delta 46-460 Midi (http://www.deltamachinery.com/products/lathes/item/46-460) (around $600) 12 1/2" swing 1 HP motor
Rikon 70-220VSR (http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_70-220VSR.html) (around $550) 12 1/2" swing 1 HP motor
NOVA Comet II (http://www.teknatool.com/products/lathes/CometII/Nova_CometII.htm) (around $530 with the G3 chuck) only a 12" swing and 3/4 HP motor

It seems the more I read the more confused I get. I'm a computer guy by nature and know what it's like to have "brand loyalty" be a factor in the decision making process (should I get a windows, mac, or linux computer). A lot of the forums that I've looked at seem to be slanted one way or the other.
I'm in a state of analysis paralysis(not being able to make a decision based on TOO much information!)

Any advice? Any help? I just want to turn and have a good time doing it!

Thanks in advance!
Lee

Roger Chandler
08-17-2015, 12:22 PM
I have the Delta midi 46-460 vs, and while a good lathe, the Jet 1221vs is in the same class, but better because you can get parts and service.....they are readily available to you, and you are talking around $800 for it. Now, if you could possibly swing around $1400, the Grizzly G0632 16/42 lathe has all the features of the Jet 1642 evs and would put you squarely in the medium 16" class with all the state of the art features.

Numerous turners have gotten this model and are happy with it. I just seems like a big step up front, but once you get a larger lathe, you will be so much happier as you have more weight and capability with it. The G0632 has a 1.5 hp 3 phase motor and premium inverter, which will get you where you can turn bowls and platters, etc in the 15" range.

Robert Henrickson
08-17-2015, 1:12 PM
I would add the Jet 1221 to your list. I don't own one, but I have done numerous demonstrations on one. It did a fine job. In this size group it is very definitely worth considering.

David Walser
08-17-2015, 2:05 PM
As you've noticed, good used lathes don't come up very often. When they do, they generally sell for not much less than a new lathe of similar capacity. Well made lathes don't wear out, so there's little to prefer a brand new lathe over one that was made 5 years before -- except the quality of the paint.

If $750 is all you can afford, then I believe you should go for the Rikon 70-220VSR. It receives good reviews and is less money than the Delta and Jet lathes of similar capacity. The Nova Comet II also receives good reviews, but it has a little less swing and horse power. If these lathes cannot do what you want, then I suggest you keep looking for a good deal on a used full-size lathe. Old Delta and Powermatic lathes with Reeves drives can be bought for reasonable money. Turning outboard on one of these lathes will allow you to turn a large bowl or platter. Or, you can add risers to the headstock and tailstock to increase the swing.

Lee Krause
08-17-2015, 2:17 PM
I expanded my search on craigslist and found a used Jet 1220 not VS. 6 years old and asking $550 obo.
Any thoughts?
http:// nashville.craigslist.org/tls/5133452607.html

Does VS that much of a difference?

Allan Wright
08-17-2015, 2:20 PM
I was in exactly the same budget as you are. I looked locally for used lathes for a while and was anguishing between the Nova Comet II, and saving my money for the Jet 1221. While I was thinking and deciding a used full-size lathe became available. I'm soooo much happier buying used as I got so much more for my money. That said, buying new you know what you're getting and that has value.

Looking back now on what I knew then and what I know now, save up the extra $200 for the Jet 1221. You'll spend so much more than that on extras over the first year or two owning the lathe that it will be worth the wait. Also, don't overlook the money you'll be sinking into sharpening. Unless you already have a slow speed sharpening solution you'll need to invest in that as well as some solution for sharpening gouges (Tormek, Wolverine, etc.)

I would recommend spending some time with your local turning club. Meet them, ask around. A lot of clubs have people in them with a third lathe gathering dust that isn't listed 'for sale' on Craig's list, but with a buyer talking to them may just be available. A little patience and networking may bring you an answer. Often used lathes also come with a lot of extras that you'll end up needing/buying long term. My used lathe came with a lot of items I knew I was going to have to buy, included: chuck, extra jaws, drill chuck, several live and drive centers, center finding jigs, callipers, etc. Patience pays off....sometimes.

Rich Sabulsky
08-17-2015, 2:20 PM
Hi Lee -
I am new also, and just went through the same thing you're going through. My wife bought me a used HF lathe for Christmas. I wont talk badly about it, but I did wind up giving it away for free after I got a replacement. My sincere advice echoes exactly what Roger suggested. If you can possibly make the jump to the 16" EVS Grizzly lathe (you'll need 220v, I believe) it will save you anguish and most likely another lathe purchase in the long run if you plan on turning a lot of bowls.

Reeves drive lathes are their own set of headaches, and while the G0462 has lots of happy owners I think you're right on with your concern about 600rpm and off balanace blanks. I bought the recently released jet 1441 before I knew better and even through it claims a low speed of 400, I put a tach to it and found that it gets down to about 525 at its lowest. Even with 350 pounds of ballast between its legs, it keeps you honest when starting a big piece.

I like the Rikon (or the equivalent Jet) over the Delta for availability of parts and service. Rikon's parts department is super easy to work with, and they ship same day if they have it in house.

Where are you located? There might be owners of some of your choices close enough for you to visit and get up close and personal with the lathes. The best way to decide is to get some time on as many as you can.

Roger Chandler
08-17-2015, 2:23 PM
I expanded my search on craigslist and found a used Jet 1221 not VS. 6 years old and asking $550 obo.
Any thoughts?
http:// nashville.craigslist.org/tls/5133452607.html

Does VS that much of a difference?If I am not mistaken the 1221 did not arrive on the market until about 18 months ago........you must be talking a 1220 Jet. A good little lathe, but you will have belt changes......not a big thing, but I think you could do better on price for a non-variable speed lathe of that age. Just my personal opinion. The extras that go with it are a plus. Not a bad deal for a pretty good little lathe., but I would go with the new Rikon David mentions above before spending this much on that Jet.

That Rikon is on sale at Woodcraft now for $549! You could have new and more features!

Bruce Pratt
08-17-2015, 2:40 PM
Jets go on sale periodically at Woodcraft. Sign up for emails and/or monthly paper fliers from the nearest Woodcraft and wait for a sale. Same for slow speed grinder, which has not been mentioned yet, but is essential.

Rich Sabulsky
08-17-2015, 3:05 PM
Does VS that much of a difference?

I've never known someone who spent the money for an EVS lathe to wish they hadn't, but I know many a turner with a non EVS lathe that would have done it differently. :)

Lee Krause
08-17-2015, 3:06 PM
I'm in Huntsville, AL.

Reed Gray
08-17-2015, 3:12 PM
Lee, best bet is to try and find the nearest club. Turners are always upgrading, and there are the estate sales as well, and club members usually get first choice. The variable speed is a luxury, but one you have it, you never want to go back. There are a number of clubs down there.

robo hippy

Lee Krause
08-17-2015, 3:13 PM
You mentioned an Old Delta. I didn't even look at the add until you mentioned it. It looks rough...
http:// bham.craigslist.org/for/5154509052.html

Doug Ladendorf
08-17-2015, 3:23 PM
That actually looks in OK shape. Check if it runs. The rust can come off without too much trouble. Really depends on whether you are OK with some machine restoring work before turning. Some folks want to get right to turning, some don't mind a bit of time investment to get something better quality for less. Both are OK.

Russell Stanton
08-17-2015, 4:20 PM
I know this is not immediate help but check on the Turning Southern Style XXI woodturning symposium in Dalton GA. It is in the middle of September and it is put on by the GA Association of Woodturners and will have many vendors, demonstrations and folks available to answer questions.

David Walser
08-17-2015, 5:34 PM
One more comment on older Delta and Powermatic lathes with Reeves drives: In recent years Reeves drives have gotten a bad reputation for being unreliable. IIRC, many Creekers were enthralled with a new-to-market lathe about 10 years ago. It had a large swing and was relatively inexpensive. It's downfall was an unreliable Reeves drive. While that lathe only lasted a short time on the market because just about every Reeves drive failed, many other off-shore lathes with mechanical variable speed control drives were unreliable, too.

In my opinion, there's a world of difference between the Reeves drives made overseas and those in the USA made Delta and Powermatic lathes. These lathes were used in industry and schools for years without problems because the parts were well made and the drives were well maintained by their owners. If you are willing to give up a little bit of versatility and convenience, one of these lathes should give you years of service -- provided you perform regular maintenance. They can be a solid option provided for someone looking for their first full-size lathe.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-17-2015, 5:36 PM
The new choices are wide indeed.... All I had was a Craftsman lathe to start.......
Hands down, the new Jet 1221 is at the top of the mini-midi lathes for me, but also at the top of the price list and a bit out of your budget. As mentioned the Rikon VS can be gotten from Amazon for 549 or so, which leaves you a bit of change to get the grinder and a tool or 2. You do know that there is (eventually) more money in tools than the lathe.......
Since you do have a budget that allows a electronic variable speed lathe, I would not buy a non EVS lathe. The benefits are many.

I'm in the camp where you should buy the lathe that you want, vice what you think you can afford. Due to the amount of money involved in buying a gouge here, and there, a scraper here, and there, and a chuck, and a... you get it. Save up or take an advance on your budget to get a lathe you really can live with, vice a compromise. If you compromise, you'll probably upgrade later anyways. Just my $0.02.

Wayne Lovell
08-17-2015, 5:46 PM
Don't let a 1 1/2 hour drive to a club stop you, if it is a good club the time and money you spend going to the meetings will be worth far more than you spend. Go to a couple of meetings before you join and if you don't like it don't join. When I decided to try turning again after we moved (I am conveniently located in the middle of nowhere) about 10 years ago I found the East Texas Woodturners Club which is about 1 1/2 hours away and if I had not joined the club I probably wood not have turned very long. I have recently joined the Brazos Vally Woodturners club which is about an hour away in the other direction. The big problem is that they meet at the same time so I have to decide where go each month. I keep hoping that one of them will change their meeting time but I am not holding my breath.

Thom Sturgill
08-17-2015, 6:02 PM
I would grab the Rikon while its on sale. Rikon gets good reviews and this one looks good. I'm interested because of its high top end speed (3800rpm) for turning miniatures, while its low speed is a bit high at 250, so are most of the lathes unless you get into a bigger machine like the Jet 1642 or one of it's clones.

Thomas Canfield
08-17-2015, 10:49 PM
I would recommend also checking out the Rikon. Looking at it, it seems to have a little more mass/beef than the Nova Comet and drive pulleys look to be a larger diameter (more belt contact) than the Comet. I have the Comet and use it frequently in addition to my Powermatic 3520B, but have found the slow speed arrangement does not have any power (no belt contact) and I had to make some additions to frame to get a solid mount to base. I have turned 12" material, but with difficulty until balanced. I would like to get a first hand look at the Rikon some time to do a real comparison. I am not a big fan of the reeves drive older lathes due to the 550 to 600 rpm lowest speed being too much for unbalanced loads starting from rough.

Bill Blasic
08-18-2015, 8:46 AM
Another consideration to those who keep harping about Delta parts issues. The only part that I have ever heard about not being able to find is the off/on switch. Although on their website as being not available a call to Delta finds that both types of switches are available (they were subbed out). As stated many times there are at least 10 of these lathes in my club and there has never been a problem with any of them. It is a very good lathe at a fair price.

Lee Krause
08-18-2015, 9:35 AM
Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to be patient and keep looking for a good used one. (I'm terrible at waiting :) ) I'm also going to see if there's a turning club even somewhat close. There's lots of wood working groups, but no turners.

I really appreciate your time!

David C. Roseman
08-18-2015, 9:59 AM
Since the Delta model Lee is considering is the 46-460 midi, I'll pass along an observation that a top rock-star turning instructor/demonstrator coincidentally made about it at a workshop we hosted for him this past weekend. If you flip up the plastic access door to the spindle and drive pulleys, you'll see that the inboard side of the headstock casting (immediately behind the face of the spindle) is completely unsupported across the front and top. By pressing against it with his hand from the inboard side, he was able to make it flex visibly with moderate pressure. With spindle work, or turning small bowls and boxes, this is not really an issue, but the lathe claims a 12-1/2" swing. He said that with larger bowls, the lack of support allows enough flex to create problems in trying to get good finish cuts. He says he brought this to the attention of Delta engineers several years ago, but nothing was ever done to modify the design.

I pass this along knowing that there are many happy 46-460 midi owners out there.

Vicki Hayden
08-18-2015, 10:18 AM
I went through a similar experience. I was going to upgrade to a Jet, but didn't want to pay the high price. I watched for a used lathe for a year and saw nothing but old rusty junk or metal lathes. I had the HF 10X18 though and it is a great starter lathe IMHO. I didn't care for the belt changing though, too tiny an area and had to almost stand on my head. The Rikon is perfect for me and the Woodcraft sale on it cinched the deal. $150 off. I chose it over the Nova because it was longer, had a bigger motor, and I figured if there was something wrong with it I could take it back to WC which is 80 miles from me. This lathe doesn't disappoint. I love the VS, the smooth braking, the sturdier knobs and handles, the easy belt change. This is perfect for me, the hobbyist turning pens, Christmas ornaments, small boxes, chair legs. Interestingly, I sold my HF via FB in 10 minutes. haha

Paul Maue
08-18-2015, 11:35 AM
Lee, you might want to widen your search outside of the town you live in. I was in the same situation a couple of years ago when I wanted to get a bigger lathe, but nothing was available when I was ready to buy. I finally found what I was searching for, but it was a 5 hour drive to pick it up. The wife thought I was crazy but when you can't buy new, a good used lathe may not be available in your area.
There is a way to search craigslist for all lathes that are for sale. As an example, enter the line below in Google to search for all powermatic lathes listed in Craigslist. Be a little specific so you don'y get everything that has the word lathe in it.
Its site:craigslist.org “powermatic lathe”
Change the brand name to jet ricon ot what ever your looking for. Then look though the adds. Good luck

Sid Matheny
08-18-2015, 12:06 PM
Try contacting the North Alabama Wood Crafters in Huntsville. They have several good turners in their club.

http://www.nawoodcrafters.org/