PDA

View Full Version : Universal Tuning value

Keith Colson
08-17-2015, 12:33 AM
I upgraded my software and I see the "Tuning Value" is now one global system setting, so I assume that once set the firmware calculates the the compensation needed for different speeds.

I ran the tuning wizard and found that my optimum tuning value is past +10. I ran some test lines and inspected the results under my microscope and found that tuning +18 gives great results.

Now the big question is. Should I be concerned? Reading up loose belts can cause this, but my belt is correctly tensioned and adding more tension does not get me a lower number. I also checked the idler wheels, all four of them and they have no play, bumps or wear. The stepper feels good too, no play.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Keith

Kev Williams
08-17-2015, 1:45 AM
No clue, my ancient Uni likes +1. If your results are 'great' and their also consistent at all speeds, I say so be it...

My Triumph runs off PHCad Lasersoft software. In the section on setting its values for backlash, the 'manual' has values listed for different speeds that are supposed to work. I tried some of their values, and the left-right engraving and right-left engraving was over 1" apart at times! And increasing amounts with increased speeds made it worse instead of better. I finally figured out I had to enter NEGATIVE numbers, and I spent the better part of a whole day running test jobs in 50mm/sec increments to dial in the alignment. But to the machine and/or software's credit, since that day I haven't had to change a thing.

If +18 works, run with it! :)

Scott Shepherd
08-17-2015, 8:18 AM
Keith, they royally hosed the tuning up when they did that. I've had a number of discussions with them about it and the tech's had no idea they were doing this and didn't understand why they did it. My issue with it is that the value in that process was tuning materials. I spent a couple of years refining those values for various materials. Anodized aluminum values were different than metallic rowmark materials, that's just a fact. Then they came out with the global thing and wiped all my hard work out because one size doesn't fit all, in my opinion.

After much complaining, I finally got to Ed Williams, the guy that runs tech support (I think), and he emailed me a little program to run, when I did, it bought back all those settings. Ed said he was trying to get that switch put in the software, so if you wanted to control it, you could, but that was more than a year ago. Probably closer to 2 years now.

If you want the tuning back, let me know and I'll see if I can figure out what that program he sent me was called so you can ask for it. You run it once and then it's all available from that point on.

Keith Colson
08-18-2015, 6:54 PM
Hi Scott

Thanks for that kind offer. I will keep that in mind should I need that feature. I did read your old post about the removal of the tuning value.