PDA

View Full Version : Used Laguna 16

Ross Becker
08-16-2015, 9:01 PM
I'm staring at the opportunity to purchase a Laguna 16" bandsaw from 2006. The one thing I noted is he took a photo of the manufacturer plate, and the plate indicates it was made by ZMM Stomana, in Bulgaria. It's got a 3HP baldor motor, and it's about 40 minutes from where I live. What can folks tell me about the bulgarian Laguna saws, versus say a 17" grizzly? Seller is asking $1150 for it w/ 3 blades and a mobile stand, and I'm not sure if it's a good deal, a great deal, or if the Bulgarian-made Lagunas should be passed on.

Jamie Buxton
08-17-2015, 10:42 AM
Does it have conventional Euro guides, or the proprietary ceramic guides Laguna now puts on most bandsaws? I have an older Laguna saw, which came with Euro guides. I was never happy with the thrust bearings, and eventually bought the upgrade guides when Laguna brought them out. They do work better.

Frank Martin
08-17-2015, 10:43 AM
Never owned one of those but have seen them before. They are not in the same league as the Italian saws but neither cost that much. These used to go for around $800. So, I would say not a great deal.

Ross Becker
08-17-2015, 10:50 AM
Conventional Euro guides, from the pictures.

Thomas Hotchkin
08-17-2015, 12:28 PM
Russ
You might want to do a search here using key words (Stomana & Laguna) there was some posts back in 2010 about that same brand of saw.

Earl McLain
08-17-2015, 2:22 PM
I've got it's 14" cousin, made by Stomana in 2004 2 hp Baldor. Came with ceramic guides and a relatively unused Resaw King for $711 late last fall--including delivery from about 30 miles away. I've got little to compare it to (14" Ridgid was my first BS), definitely a step up for me. Mine runs true, tracks well, smooth. Fair dust collection. Factory fence is okay--does what it needs to do. At just over $700, i feel i got a fair buy--not a gloat but good for both me and the seller. Throwing in delivering it to me really helped--would have cost me $50 to $75 by the time i borrowed a truck and a friend between gas & food!!
earl

Mike Wilkins
08-18-2015, 3:17 PM
Compare a similar machine from Laguna to the one you are considering. If the price is favorable, then go for it. You can get replacement ceramic guides from Laguna for their older machines; just give them the model number. I have a Laguna LT18 purchased in 2001 and it came with the Euro guides.
Laguna came out with the ceramic guides a couple of years later and I got the new guides, which were installed easily.
Great machines in my opinion, which is only worth about .01 cents.

Ross Becker
08-18-2015, 6:36 PM
Thanks for the input folks. Based on the research, I decided to hold off unless the seller decides to come down a bit more. It's probably a good machine, but for being used, not quite worth the asking price to me. Thanks!