PDA

View Full Version : Two man cross cut saws

Jesse Busenitz
08-16-2015, 6:47 PM
Anybody out there mess with these? I just got one and would like to fix it up to use. I've watched a couple videos on Youtube, but was just curious if anyone here had experience restoring/sharpening one. Jess

Chuck Nickerson
08-17-2015, 1:45 PM
There's a guy with the US Forest Service that literally wrote the book on this. I think his name is Frank Miller. There's a paper book and a two hour on-line video.
I'll try to verify his name.

Tony Shea
08-17-2015, 5:04 PM
There are some great resources online. You sharpen it like a normal crosscut saw but with a flat file. You need to joint the teeth and bring them to a nice point using a flat file. Most importantly are the raker teeth, these have to be a determined distance below the crosscut teeth. I don't remember what that distance is but is available online somewhere. You van make a jig to help get the raker teeth that exact distance down as I did on my one man crosscut saw. Setting the teeth is also very important, too much set will cause you more work as will not enough set. There are tools out there called spiders that help with getting the proper set. I personally just eyeball the set.