PDA

View Full Version : Veritas QR Tail vise veritcal racking problem.

Reinis Kanders
08-16-2015, 4:55 PM
I finally installed Veritas quick release tail vise, the fancy kind. Smooth vise, but it wants to rack vertically. Basically there is a minimal amount of play between the guide rods and their guide holes so jaw tilts up when vise is tightened with something between the top bench dogs. This causes front of the jaw to rise up above the table and bows the work-piece a bit.

I planed down the jaw so now it sits below the table and when it does rise up it is not so much. I can almost live with it and vise is super smooth otherwise, but it is annoying to see the jaw not being flush and it might affect some future operations. Seems that I can minimize flexing of work-piece if I favor the dog hole that is near the leverage point.

Is this how this vise behaves? Any ideas on how to fix it? Thanks for looking at this.

Here is a pic of how workpiece rides up about .5 milimiters.

Here is a pic how I had to plane off about 1/32 from the front of the jaw.

Here it is flush when vise is tightened.

Here is the full view of vise.

Jim Koepke
08-16-2015, 5:30 PM
Is it possible, is there room, to install a guide between the side of the bench and the vise?

if there was a slot in the side of one and a rib on the other, this might prevent the racking problem.

When looking at different types of end vises in the past, sagging seemed to be a common problem for this type of tail vise.

jtk

glenn bradley
08-16-2015, 5:52 PM
What did Lee Valley say? On some of their vises the directions are very specific about amount of flex or shift to expect and advise jaw tapers and so forth to account for this. Was there any mention of this in the directions? If not I would call it slop and ask what gives? Bear in mind as I write this that I am a really big LV fan. However, I am a fan because they listen to their customers. If you don't let them know they can't help ;-)

Reinis Kanders
08-16-2015, 7:00 PM
I like this idea. Lot of work though, so I might do it if it really starts to become a problem.

Is it possible, is there room, to install a guide between the side of the bench and the vise?

if there was a slot in the side of one and a rib on the other, this might prevent the racking problem.

When looking at different types of end vises in the past, sagging seemed to be a common problem for this type of tail vise.

jtk

Reinis Kanders
08-16-2015, 7:11 PM
I have yet to talk to Lee Valley. Just installed both vises this weekend.
Directions did not mention any jaw tapering. Their fancy QR front vise also racks quite a bit vertically and directions did not mention taper so I did not and to my chagrin glued on leather too early. Now I will either make a new jaw or just go back to steel QR vise like my old Jorgensen. Jorgensen's quick release was rattling, but that vise definitely holds stuff better and vertically racks less because wood lined steel jaws are just stiffer. My bench is about 4 inches thick, maybe these Veritas vises work better with thinner benches.

What did Lee Valley say? On some of their vises the directions are very specific about amount of flex or shift to expect and advise jaw tapers and so forth to account for this. Was there any mention of this in the directions? If not I would call it slop and ask what gives? Bear in mind as I write this that I am a really big LV fan. However, I am a fan because they listen to their customers. If you don't let them know they can't help ;-)