PDA

View Full Version : which paint for vinyl shutters?

Paul Saffold
08-16-2015, 3:10 PM
Looking at either latex brush-on or rattle-can spray for plastics. The shutters face the sun most of the day and are fading after 14 years.

Opinions appreciated.

Thanks, Paul

Mac McQuinn
08-16-2015, 8:21 PM
Paul,
I had the same problem with dark red shutters on my home although I tried a product called "303" for plastics, vinyl, etc. and the shutters literally looked like new after application and I only have to re-apply the product every (5) years or so to keep them looking this way. I bought the product from a Marine supply. BTW, the shutters are also (14) years old.
Mac

dennis thompson
08-17-2015, 5:56 PM
I painted my vinyl shutters about 3 years ago with a paint from Sherwin Williams -Duration acrylic latex, has held up very well and covered in one coat

Rich Engelhardt
08-17-2015, 6:24 PM
Two coats of dark green Rustoleum brought the 25 year old shutters back from the grave and has held up great for the last 4 years.
Surprised me.
I bought the Rustoleum for the front door and a metal awning and figured, "What the hay, I already have it here and if it doesn't work, I'll just repaint them with a 100% Acrylic".

Paul Saffold
08-17-2015, 10:15 PM
Thanks for your ideas. Think I will try Krylon Fusion for plastic and see how it does.

Duane Meadows
08-18-2015, 7:16 AM
Thanks for your ideas. Think I will try Krylon Fusion for plastic and see how it does.

I have had good results with Krylon fusion and also with Rustoleum similar product!