PDA

View Full Version : Surface prep to finish time frame?

David Ragan
08-16-2015, 9:34 AM
I read some time ago-cant say where, probably YouTube:eek:, that if your wood surface is not finished (application of finishes) within a certain period of time (my impression was couple of weeks) that some kinda problem may occur with proper adherence of the finish when it is applied. This sounds weird. But, maybe not given the phenomena of oxidation with metals.

I always am sure to have a very fresh surface when gluing edges, etc. I guess you could apply the same logic to finishes?

It generally takes me several months from when I have final surface prep (ready to finish) until I start the process.

Barring any surface contamination, dust settling, etc, should I be worried about this?

Maybe different woods or finishes have different properties in this regard?

Phil Mueller
08-16-2015, 9:24 PM
Hi David, I live in Michigan. I don't sand or finish inside, so projects built in the winter wait months before it's warm enough to get outside and sand/finish. I've never had a problem...but maybe that's because I sand just prior to the finish (?). I'll be curious to see what others have to say.

Mark Kornell
08-17-2015, 1:00 AM
If you wait a long time between surface prep and finish application, two things might happen.

A) Surface contamination. Dust (or other airborne particulate) can settle on the wood surface. Usually, just blowing the surfaces off will take.care of this, unless the environment has a lot of oil contaminants.

B) Moisture absorption. Wood fibres swell as they come in contact with ambient moisture. And over several months, ambient moisture can add up to a fair amount unless you live in a desert. That results in a surface that is somewhat less smooth than what it was sanded too. Fairly easy to rectify with a light resand prior to finish application.