PDA

View Full Version : maple log

William DiBerardine
08-16-2015, 8:48 AM
I found a maple log on craigslist. Unfortunately the clean up crew was "nice" and started cutting it to firewood size pieces. The log is about 44" wide but only 12-16". My question is the wood would make lovely table tops but would I be wasting my time since the top side would be all end grain? Would the table top just break at the grain lines?

Bill

Cody Colston
08-16-2015, 8:52 AM
Would the table top just break at the grain lines? Bill

It will crack across the grain as it dries and shrinks...almost guaranteed.

Danny Hamsley
08-16-2015, 11:54 AM
Another one bites the bust at the hand of the "tree crew". That is a shame. One must plan ahead in these endeavors. The craigslist poster obviously did not.

daryl moses
08-16-2015, 11:55 AM
It will crack across the grain as it dries and shrinks...almost guaranteed.
Yep, I don't think I've ever seen one that didn't crack, no matter how big or small.

John TenEyck
08-16-2015, 12:37 PM
At least it wasn't a cherry or walnut log.

Jesse Busenitz
08-16-2015, 3:36 PM
What kind of Maple? Also have you split it to see if there's any figure ie tigerstripe/fiddle back? You might have some valuable instrument grade wood/ or you might just have firewood.

William DiBerardine
08-17-2015, 10:54 AM
I kind of figured what you guys already said. Jesse I haven't split it yet but it won't go to waste. I'll split some out and use it for turning which is why I originally picked it up. Thanks all.

Jeff Raefield
08-17-2015, 3:18 PM
I used a slab of redwood end grain about 3" thick as a coffee table. Yes, it cracked, but that didn't really render it useless, I consider it part of the "character" of the piece. It's been this way for 35 years now, never got any worse. I keep kids from sitting on that little peninsula formed by the crack however...

Rod Sheridan
08-18-2015, 9:44 AM
I found a maple log on craigslist. Unfortunately the clean up crew was "nice" and started cutting it to firewood size pieces. The log is about 44" wide but only 12-16". My question is the wood would make lovely table tops but would I be wasting my time since the top side would be all end grain? Would the table top just break at the grain lines?

Bill

Yes it will crack, however you can avoid that.

Cut it in half so you have 2 semi-circles, or make 4 quarters.

Let it dry, joint the edges and glue it back together as an almost circle...............Rod.