PDA

View Full Version : cedar cracking after sanding

David Raitt
08-15-2015, 4:55 PM
"Hi" i am new to the forum, I have a eastern red cedar log that was cut down 2 or 3 years ago, so i decided to cut clock blanks out of it and sealed it 3 or 4 weeks ago.
I had a friend run one thru a belt sander and he said it started to crack,in fact he said he could hear it cracking, anybody know how to stop cedar blanks from cracking in need of help,:( Thanks.

Doug Herzberg
08-15-2015, 6:12 PM
It does that. The best advice I've heard is to keep it cool and damp while sanding. Sanding on the lathe, you could try spritzing it with water in a spray bottle. I haven't had so much trouble in flat work. I use kiln dried cedar in cedar chests (duh) without trouble.

David Raitt
08-15-2015, 6:27 PM
"Thanks Doug".

Pat Scott
08-16-2015, 10:41 AM
I agree with Doug, the belt sander created too much heat. If it feels warm to the touch, leave it alone for a few minutes to cool down. But it's best to try and not let it get to that point in the first place.

Reed Gray
08-16-2015, 12:25 PM
Well, for sure, at 2 or three years, the wood would not be dry. When dimensioning board stock, I run it through the planer first, then through the drum sander. The drum sander 'can' add to the heat factor which leads to cracking. Likely causes: first would be dull or clogged abrasives which would rub rather than cut. Second would be trying to take off too much in one pass. Other than industrial type drum/belt sanders, you just barely kiss the surface. Drum sanders are not good for roughing cuts on lumber, but more of a clean up tool.

robo hippy

William Bachtel
08-17-2015, 4:47 PM
Cedar, that you have, has 2 things going on. One proably not dry, and second is , cedar has a lot of stress in the wood. Much more than normal. Cedar has no strength with the stress factor going on, it just breaks or cracks. I have sawed in on the table saw it just about exposes apart at time. Got my attention the first time it happened.