PDA

View Full Version : Moving fillister from HNT Gordon

Brian Holcombe
08-15-2015, 12:36 PM
I was cruising through their website this morning and came across this;

http://www.hntgordon.com.au/images/shop/upload/img_8422.jpg

I've been really combing through websites on the prowl for a moving fillister plane, so I'm glad to see something like this.

Stewie Simpson
08-15-2015, 1:11 PM
Doesnt get any better than that. :)

Steve Voigt
08-15-2015, 3:03 PM
Wow, that's a lot of bling.

Philly planes makes a great looking traditional moving fillister.

Kent A Bathurst
08-15-2015, 3:21 PM
Thats' great.

I recall, a few months ago, reading on their site something to the effect that they were close on the moving fillister, and were anxious to get it in production, so they would gain the experience necessary to tackle the plow plane they want to make. THAT is the one I am waiting for. Won't be able to afford it, of course, but still..............

Brian Holcombe
08-15-2015, 3:47 PM
Wow, that's a lot of bling.

Philly planes makes a great looking traditional moving fillister.

The one from Philly planes is quite sexy too.

Kent, I think this has been a work in project for these guys from quite some time. I spoke with Terry a few months back and he mentioned the moving fillister would be first.

I currently use a dado plane in place of a moving fillister, but I know a true moving fillister is quicker and easier to setup. I'm certainly looking to completely remove the electric router from my life, and this gets me one step closer.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-15-2015, 4:26 PM
That is sweet, and thanks for turning me on to these guys. Wow. Their set of hollows and rounds is pretty tempting. I bought the Veritas matched set of skewed rabbiting block planes as well as their low angle rabbeting jack plane. Those serve me well enough for now.

That said, this really fits your woodworking style and it's just "you." You're one that I would think would get $1200 of joy out of it or else I would say go for the Veritas.

Brian Holcombe
08-15-2015, 5:00 PM
LOL, very true. That being said this one is pretty out there for me, but given the comparison to a lot of high end infills it's not unreasonable. I've been eyeing their hollows and rounds as well, they're very tempting. I've been getting into shapes a little bit and I have a door handle in mind which will require a set of hollows and rounds.

I did the outside round over of the table wings with a #4 and a spoke shave, but it would have been quicker and more easily repeatable with a round.

Frederick Skelly
08-15-2015, 5:44 PM
That is sweet, and thanks for turning me on to these guys. Wow.

Derek Cohen speaks highly of HNT too. He's mentioned them several times in posts here. Supposed to be great tools.

Just a bit outside the price range for my hobbyist budget, kinda like one of Ron Bontz' magnificent saws. (Sigh)

Mike Holbrook
08-15-2015, 5:58 PM
I was looking at those earlier today too Brian, after reading how you were doing other projects using HNT tools. They look sweet but I need a lathe, lathe tools...first.

Kent A Bathurst
08-15-2015, 9:17 PM
Derek Cohen speaks highly of HNT too. He's mentioned them several times in posts here. Supposed to be great tools.

Just a bit outside the price range for my hobbyist budget, kinda like one of Ron Bontz' magnificent saws. (Sigh)

No room in the till beside your Holteys, Fred?

Allan Speers
08-15-2015, 9:55 PM
I've seen a few made also by Clarke & Williams. Those are similarly lovely.

I have the ECE. It's not even close, bling-wise, but it's still made of wood, and is extremely well made & functional. It also only costs around $200. :)

Allan Speers
08-15-2015, 10:04 PM
Here's a C&W version with a handle, which is pretty neat:

http://www.handplane.com/Planemaker-Gallery/details.php?image_id=78&sessionid=2d31735264c5b476d9fc2d81661b31f4

The Gordon sure pops, though, because of the dark wood against the brass. Any idea what that sells for? Not $1200, surely? :eek:

Kent A Bathurst
08-15-2015, 11:03 PM
Any idea what that sells for? Not $1200, surely? :eek:

Dude - your reading skills are failing you. They say $1285, or more for upgraded wood.

I assume that is $AUS, but that's not monopoly money either. If it is $AUS, that's about $950 green money.

I'd have to go for the $300 upgrade to ebony, to tell you the truth..............

Allan Speers
08-15-2015, 11:05 PM
OMFG !!!!!

My ECE just got a little bit prettier. :)

Kent A Bathurst
08-15-2015, 11:17 PM
OMFG !!!!!

My ECE just got a little bit prettier. :)

Yeah....but you are still ugly as sin. :p :p

Derek Cohen
08-16-2015, 12:37 AM
I have not see that plane. Terry was not at the recent Perth Wood Show. But if it is in production, you can be assured that it will work as well as it looks. Terry is a perfectionist. The HNT Gordon planes are superb performers and very reliable.

The price is in AUD. We are running at a low at this time. About 18 months ago the Aussie dollar was slightly stronger than the Greenback. We have dropped back 25% since then. It is a good time now for others to purchase from us.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Allan Speers
08-16-2015, 5:36 AM
Yeah....but you are still ugly as sin. :p :p

Hey, my mother loves me !

Robert Engel
08-16-2015, 5:27 PM
They make a nice sliding dovetail plane, too.
Wish I could afford one.

Jim Koepke
08-16-2015, 5:35 PM
Blue is one of my favorite colors so my Record #778 will have to do for now.

Is there any real difference between a Moving Fillister and a rabbet plane with a fence?

jtk

Derek Cohen
08-16-2015, 7:45 PM
They make a nice sliding dovetail plane, too.
Wish I could afford one.

Hi Robert

Not as pretty, but actually a better plane than the HNT Gordon (insofar as it can plane in both directions, and has a longer registration fence), is this conversion I made to a Stanley #79 ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/SlidingDovetails-LC_html_a837b5a.jpg

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/SlidingDovetails-LC_html_680e7f25.jpg

This was recently written up here in the "Linegrie Chest" thread.

Of course, nothing is as handsome as the HNT Gordon planes. The dado plane is spectactular and should be an obligatory purchase by all. Perhaps it needs to be accepted by all health insurances.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Malcolm Schweizer
08-16-2015, 8:08 PM
I just showed it to my wife and she said, "rabbet plane?" Sorry boys, she's mine.

Kent A Bathurst
08-16-2015, 8:49 PM
I just showed it to my wife and she said, "rabbet plane?" Sorry boys, she's mine.

That's a winner, Malcolm.

Clearly, you made out much better in the deal than she did. ;)

Brian Holcombe
08-16-2015, 10:51 PM
I'd have to default to Derek's experience here, having never used the 78, but I find the HNT Gordon DT plane very nice to use.

Kent A Bathurst
08-16-2015, 11:02 PM
Brian - I looked, but could not locate that one on their site????

Ooops..........now I found ti............never mind