PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a tablet PC to take an online class?

Frederick Skelly
08-15-2015, 10:47 AM
Signed up for an online class at a local college. Was planning to buy a Surface tablet (model TBD, but around $500) to take the class - been wanting one anyway and the class is a good excuse. Then I got to wondering if such a machine has enough horsepower to support that, or if I need a "real" laptop. I've never taken a class online and don't know what is involved.

Does anyone know if I can use a tablet pc like a Surface for this purpose? I'd sure appreciate you advice.

Thank you!
Fred

Scott Shepherd
08-15-2015, 11:32 AM
Frederick, I'd say the answer is "maybe". It depends whether or not the college's website will run on the browser on the tablet. Some sites are written better than others, code wise, and render across platforms quite well, while some code will be a hot mess. I'm not sure anyone can answer that for sure other than the school.

George Bokros
08-15-2015, 11:49 AM
I am guessing that MS Surface would have a browser that would be compatible. Just get enough memory and a fast enough processor.

Scott Shepherd
08-15-2015, 11:53 AM
I think he's okay too George, but I still see some government websites that require logins that are using some VERY old technology. Our State's Procurement system still gives a message when you are using an "unsupported" browser. That message has been there for 7 years, that I know of. They still only support IE. I suspect that they won't even support Edge in Windows 10.

Chuck Wintle
08-15-2015, 12:07 PM
Signed up for an online class at a local college. Was planning to buy a Surface tablet (model TBD, but around $500) to take the class - been wanting one anyway and the class is a good excuse. Then I got to wondering if such a machine has enough horsepower to support that, or if I need a "real" laptop. I've never taken a class online and don't know what is involved.

Does anyone know if I can use a tablet pc like a Surface for this purpose? I'd sure appreciate you advice.

Thank you!
Fred
i would go with a laptop if it was me..one with a 15 inch screen. Dell, no connection, have many low priced laptops that can do the job for probably 400 to $500. And the screen is bigger, programs can be loaded and used vs. a tablet that may be limited.

Frederick Skelly
08-15-2015, 2:35 PM
Thanks guys! I appreciate the help!

Gerry Grzadzinski
08-15-2015, 3:25 PM
A Surface Pro 3 runs a regular version of Windows, and is no different than a laptop.
Older Surfaces run Windows RT, which makes them less desirable.

Bob Vavricka
08-15-2015, 5:05 PM
Most colleges/universities will use a "course management system" such as Blackboard, Desire to Learn, etc. to deliver their online courses. Their distance education department website should have the minimum requirements for the equipment needed to take an online course. Most course management systems are working to make their system work on mobile devices. However, assignments may be required where you have to upload a word processing document to the course, so I would make sure to have access to a way to do that sort of thing. It may be that you could use a tablet for most of the content and then use a different computer for other activities. Most colleges will have a computer lab where you could login or you could use a computer at a library, etc. Good Luck with your course.

Myk Rian
08-15-2015, 8:50 PM
Look into getting a student discount.

Frederick Skelly
08-15-2015, 10:17 PM
Most colleges/universities will use a "course management system" such as Blackboard, Desire to Learn, etc. to deliver their online courses. Their distance education department website should have the minimum requirements for the equipment needed to take an online course. Most course management systems are working to make their system work on mobile devices. However, assignments may be required where you have to upload a word processing document to the course, so I would make sure to have access to a way to do that sort of thing. It may be that you could use a tablet for most of the content and then use a different computer for other activities. Most colleges will have a computer lab where you could login or you could use a computer at a library, etc. Good Luck with your course.

Thanks Bob. They ARE using Blackboard. I'll go look for minimum requirements and, no, I hadn't snapped to the need to upload assignments. Thanks for catching that

Myk, that discount is a real good thought!

Thanks again everyone. It's much appreciated!
Fred

Jim Becker
08-16-2015, 10:58 AM
The current version of Surface and Surface Pro are what you want if you go this route...as was noted, they run "regular" Windows. But I also suggest you check into the requirements for the class before you invest your money to be sure there are no deficiencies. Also consider your eyesight given that tablets tend to have smaller screens than available laptops. If that's a factor, you can still opt for an "Ultrabook" type laptop that remains lower in weight both sports a larger screen.