PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading a Chinese 40W Laser Questions

Mark Taylor2
08-15-2015, 3:16 AM
I hope I don't violate any rules here but I have some questions that maybe someone here can help with...

I'm a hobbyist and use my laser cutter/engraver to almost exclusively cut woods which are entirely fruit woods or exotics such as boxwood.

I have a 4OW laser/engraver, Micromark brand. It has an MYJG40W power supply with 220 Vac in and 30kV/20mA output. The tube is obviously not a "true" 40W as it's about 700mm long which I understand makes it a 32/35W tube. I've already upgraded the lens to an 18mm F50.8 (2") lens and this made the kerf go down to about 1/2 as wide as the "stock" lens. It's also cutting cleaner which by that, I get better cuts with less charring.

I'm giving thought to upgrading the tube soon as I'd like to cut wood in one pass that's thicker than 3/16" and up to 1/4". I've located a source of tubes over at Lightobject for "true" 40W at 850mm long which needs 20kV/15mA. It appears that the power supply should drive the tube. They do have a 45W tube at 1000mm which needs the same 20kV/15mA input.

I know that I'll need to put a tube extension on my case for either tube and tweak the tube mounts if I go for the 45W.

The question is will the 40W cut 1/4 hardwood? Or should I go for the 45W tube and if so, will the power supply handle it?

I know I'm probably out of my mind, but then again, I never could leave anything "stock".

Bert Kemp
08-15-2015, 8:22 AM
Tube sizes just for reference so you get the right power and a real 40 watt tube should cut 6mm plywood.Laser tube (30W): (Length=900mm, Diameter=51mm)
Expected Life: 1200-2000 hours
Laser Tube, 30 Watt (38 Watts MAX, 30 Watts nominal)
https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/i/scr/pixel.gif LTUBE-30W

Laser tube (40W): (Length=1010mm, Diameter=51mm)
Expected Life: 2000+ hours
Laser Tube, 40 Watt (48 Watts MAX, 40 Watts nominal)
https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/i/scr/pixel.gif LTUBE-40W

Mike Troncalli
08-15-2015, 10:12 AM
The difference with your 35w and a new 40/45 watt tube is not that much more. That being said, a new 35w tube should be able to cut through 1/4" wood. Now it will take about 2 passes and at about 10% speed, but it should cut through.. Of course a brand new tube with an extra 5 - 10 watts will give you better performance, but your still going to most likely end up requiring 2 passes at slow speed.

Will your power supply handle it.. Most likely.. BUT... Don't be surprised if shortly after you install the new tube your power supply goes Kaput... If have noticed that on the import CO2 machines a large percentage seem to have problems with their power supplies failing after installing a new tube. These power supplies are not usually the most robust things around, and it seems as though installing a new tube seems to strain an already used power supply..
Is this written in stone, of course not... I am just giving you information based on my past experience with several machines of this type.. I've had both good and bad luck with swapping out tubes and the power supplies going just fine.

In the end I would say it's not worth all of the trouble to have to change your case and mounts for such a small return in power on your investment.

Keith Winter
08-15-2015, 12:00 PM
Regrettably you may have to face that is not a real laser, it doesn't has the bones to be a real laser, so it's never going to live up to your expectations in the cutting dept. It's going to be a money pit upgrading it in my humble opinion. I would suggest your money would be better spent upgrading to a small used epilog or universal. Or buying a nice chinese one, thunder, rabbit, and many others have very decent full featured smaller lasers for very reasonable prices.

Mike Troncalli
08-15-2015, 12:19 PM
Regrettably you may have to face that is not a real laser, it doesn't has the bones to be a real laser, so it's never going to live up to your expectations in the cutting dept. It's going to be a money pit upgrading it in my humble opinion. I would suggest your money would be better spent upgrading to a small used epilog or universal. Or buying a nice chinese one, thunder, rabbit, and many others have very decent full featured smaller lasers for very reasonable prices.

I know I made a comment before, but I have to agree with Keith. I should have googled your laser type before.. This is not a very high end machine and as Keith stated it just wouldn't be worth the investment..

Mark Taylor2
08-15-2015, 1:53 PM
I agree it's "high price" "low end" machine. Right now it's doing what I want on wood 3/16" and thinner, but down the road... it probably won't. I guess when the tube dies, I'll look at an different machine.

Thanks for the feedback.

Bill George
08-15-2015, 5:10 PM
Its a Micro Mark, never mind its the $500 eBay laser sold for $2000, I see its no longer listed on that website. Don't waste your time or any more money.

Mark Taylor2
08-15-2015, 7:58 PM
Just curious then, what's the opinion of this for a hobbyist (not doing anything commericial) who's just cutting wood: http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/laser-engraving/50wlasermachine I'm not finding any reviews anywhere.

Bill George
08-15-2015, 8:43 PM
Just curious then, what's the opinion of this for a hobbyist (not doing anything commericial) who's just cutting wood: http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/laser-engraving/50wlasermachine I'm not finding any reviews anywhere.
I have purchased from them and found they are honest and what they sell works. I think the owners name is John and you can email with questions and they get answered. Phone calls, I have hearing issues and he has English issues so not as good. He is a long ways from Oregon.
LightObject is somewhat closer to you and they have good products I have purchased from them several times. Marco is the owners name and he even has a Forum set up where he helps users. They are both US based and have sold laser machines for years, no eBay junk.

Keith Winter
08-15-2015, 10:03 PM
It's better than what you have, but once again a bare bones machine, the cheapest machine they offer. I'm not a glutton for punishment, so just me personally, I would aim higher.

The brand you're looking at has some positive reviews on here you can read, but that's their most basic machine. For the detailed stuff you do Mark, the ships and such, I would suggest you start looking in the $3000 + duties range or better (about $4500-$5000 landed). That machine is $2000 so it was probably $1000 or less from China. If you go American expect to pay around $10k-$12k for a small machine, might be able to find one used for $6k-$8k. Universal, Epilog, Trotec, and Trotec's smaller division (cannot remember the name at the moment) are the big USA ones. They do finer engraving than the Chinese machines. Cutting Chinese machines are just fine at cutting though.

Jerome Stanek
08-16-2015, 8:15 AM
I bought the next one up from them and It works fine. The one you are looking at is a stripped down unit of what I got. Mine has the 60 watt tube and auto focus with a stand. It is a LG 500. John is very good with his support also I went there and he showed me the different models he had and did a demo on them. I took a piece of material that I wanted to cut and he cut it for me to show what the laser will do.

Clark Pace
08-16-2015, 11:57 AM
If you just want to cut things.

1. Get a mini CNC

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mini-Computer-Controlled-CNC-3020T-3-Axis-Router-Engraver-Machine-Engraving-/261805741202?hash=item3cf4d69492

I have one and it work well. Reliable. It cut acrylic, and even 1" wood on multiple passes. I've done vinyl records on it. (Not suggested on a laser)

2. You second best best is probably something like this.'

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50W-CO2-USB-Laser-Engraving-Cutting-Machine-Engraver-Cutter-woodworking-crafts-/321607814507?hash=item4ae151cd6b

I had one and it was a decent machine. Good for lite commerical work. Sold id

Personally also have a Redsail X700. Which is use for commercial use. Very reliable. I think this is the replacement bellow. However I have to personal use, and it's uses a different software.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50W-Co2-USB-Laser-Engraving-Cutting-Machine-Engraver-Cutter-Chiller-700-x-500mm-/131459435711?hash=item1e9b97ccbf

P.S. If you are totally a newbie I would suggest a china machine with usa support.

I had a machine like yours. It was fun, but it is a hobby machine, and not reliable for business.

Jerome Stanek
08-16-2015, 2:04 PM
If you just want to cut things.

1. Get a mini CNC

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mini-Computer-Controlled-CNC-3020T-3-Axis-Router-Engraver-Machine-Engraving-/261805741202?hash=item3cf4d69492

I have one and it work well. Reliable. It cut acrylic, and even 1" wood on multiple passes. I've done vinyl records on it. (Not suggested on a laser)

2. You second best best is probably something like this.'

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50W-CO2-USB-Laser-Engraving-Cutting-Machine-Engraver-Cutter-woodworking-crafts-/321607814507?hash=item4ae151cd6b

I had one and it was a decent machine. Good for lite commerical work. Sold id

Personally also have a Redsail X700. Which is use for commercial use. Very reliable. I think this is the replacement bellow. However I have to personal use, and it's uses a different software.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50W-Co2-USB-Laser-Engraving-Cutting-Machine-Engraver-Cutter-Chiller-700-x-500mm-/131459435711?hash=item1e9b97ccbf

P.S. If you are totally a newbie I would suggest a china machine with usa support.

I had a machine like yours. It was fun, but it is a hobby machine, and not reliable for business.

the laser you show is pretty much the same as the one from Automation. John is an advertiser here and gives good support.

Bill George
08-16-2015, 2:09 PM
On my Chinese laser purchase from Automation Technologies I did some very detailed engraving and cutting that was not the issue. Speed and the somewhat hard to learn software was. The software was fine once you learned, the lack of really fast speeds remained. You can expect also the OEM tube will need to be replaced within 6 months or so,, maybe it will last a year.

Buyer beware on eBay purchases, you could get a good one If not your right back to a Micro Mark problem no support and no warranty.

Jerome Stanek
08-16-2015, 4:16 PM
I have been running my laser for 2 years now from Automation without changing the tube still cuts as good as when I got it. I just make sure I don't over power the tube

Keith Winter
08-16-2015, 4:29 PM
I bought the next one up from them and It works fine. The one you are looking at is a stripped down unit of what I got. Mine has the 60 watt tube and auto focus with a stand. It is a LG 500. John is very good with his support also I went there and he showed me the different models he had and did a demo on them. I took a piece of material that I wanted to cut and he cut it for me to show what the laser will do.

This is also what I am suggesting, go a level or two beyond the base like Jerome did so it's not so stripped down. Automation Tech, Rabbit, Redsail, Thunder, all names to checkout in the Chinese lasers. There are a few others too.

Clark Pace
08-17-2015, 7:25 AM
My x700 laser tubes have been reliable. Also I almost never use %100. As a matter of fact I usually don't go above 75% power