PDA

View Full Version : Port-A-Mate adjustable mobile base PM-1000

Michael Cole
08-14-2015, 11:36 PM
Woodcraft has this base on sale (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/150...08%2F14%2F2015 (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/150782/Port-A-Mate-Adjustable-Mobile-Base-PM-1000.aspx?utm_source=bm23&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Image+-+http%3A%2F%2Fwww.woodcraft.com%2FProduct%2F150782 %2FPort-A-Mate-Adjustable-Mobile-Base-PM-1000.aspx&utm_content=What%27s+On+Sale+8-14-15&utm_campaign=08%2F14%2F2015))

Has anyone used one? If so, what are your thoughts? I want to make my 14" Rikon band saw mobile. I think it weighs around pounds. This base says it can go up to 400.

glenn bradley
08-15-2015, 11:19 AM
I have it under my drill press. The drill press is bolted to a torsion box full of sand for ballast. The base works OK for small adjustments but, I wouldn't want to move a tool across the shop (or even 5 feet for that matter) on it. Its too jerky when the little wheels change direction.

My larger bandsaw is on a Shop Fox which is quite a bit better but, still borderline for frequent moves IMHO. The only tools that I move frequently and with confidence are on built-in bases (like the jointer and planer) but I'm sure there are good quality ones out there. If you search here for mobile bases (mobile base site:sawmillcreek.org) you will find many fruitless searches for the perfect base and also successes. Also, the search yielded some nice shop made ones. Best of luck.

Davis Young
08-15-2015, 6:24 PM
I have several of those bases and they work fine for the price. Keep in mind that depressing the cam levers to make it mobile tilts the entire machine a few degrees so you have to be careful on a tall machine like a bandsaw. Also the cams don't give you too much leverage so I would stay well within the weight limit. And last I have found the perimeter bars get in the way if you need to step close to machinery on an open stand, especially if the legs are splayed (like the 10-325 model). I found this to be the case with my mini lathe and router. Have you looked at the Rikon options? I have no experience with them but the tow bar seems to give you more leverage for the closed stand and the open stand solution gets around the perimeter bar problem I described.

Michael Cole
08-15-2015, 8:11 PM
I have several of those bases and they work fine for the price. Keep in mind that depressing the cam levers to make it mobile tilts the entire machine a few degrees so you have to be careful on a tall machine like a bandsaw. Also the cams don't give you too much leverage so I would stay well within the weight limit. And last I have found the perimeter bars get in the way if you need to step close to machinery on an open stand, especially if the legs are splayed (like the 10-325 model). I found this to be the case with my mini lathe and router. Have you looked at the Rikon options? I have no experience with them but the tow bar seems to give you more leverage for the closed stand and the open stand solution gets around the perimeter bar problem I described.
I had not seen that mobility kit. I will have to think about it. I bought the saw used and today was the first time I tried to use it. Problems! First it kept tripping the breaker. Figured out the pulleys were not turning. Got them to turn. Sounded like a jet taking off with bad wheels. Figured out the cover for the motor fan was bent and took it off. The fan is chewed up and broken. Straightened out the cover and noise went away but can figure out how to get fan off. There were 3 screws on motor, but 2 of them won't budge. Then the belt broke. Not happy at the moment.

Greg Hines, MD
08-15-2015, 9:58 PM
I have one under my clamp rack, and it generally works pretty well. I almost never leave it in stationary mode, and it works good for me.

Doc

Davis Young
08-16-2015, 3:58 PM
Sounds like it had a hard life before it got to you but I'm sure you'll get that baby up and running in no time. Rikon's website seems to be better than most in that the belts and tires and other parts for each machine are clearly listed. As for the mobility kit, the original Rikons didn't have it as an option so make sure your machine if it is an older one is compatible.