PDA

View Full Version : A new "old tool" discovery???

Jerry Crawford
08-22-2005, 1:40 PM
While making an inventory of my brother-in-law's workshop recently I came across this strange looking Disson saw. I recognize what it's made for and how but the saw is totaqly new to me - I'd never guess Disson would make it. The blade is cut for riping and cross cut and trapped in the steel rib so the user could fix a depth for each cut. Anyone else have info on it?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/JerryCrawford/dissonsaw.jpg

Erin Raasch
08-22-2005, 2:15 PM
While making an inventory of my brother-in-law's workshop recently I came across this strange looking Disson saw. I recognize what it's made for and how but the saw is totaqly new to me - I'd never guess Disson would make it. The blade is cut for riping and cross cut and trapped in the steel rib so the user could fix a depth for each cut. Anyone else have info on it?

From the Disstonian Institute (http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/backsawpage.html) :

"Back Saw, No. 14

Nickel-Plated Lever Tightener and Wing Nut
Patented Jan. 27, 1914

Cherry Handle, Carved and Polished. Disston Crucible Steel blade. Warranted. One edge toothed 9 points for cutting with the grain; the other, 13 points, for cross-cutting. The slotted, heavy steel back, by means of the wing nut and lever tightener is quickly adjusted to cut any special depth required. Adapted for tenoning, shouldering, dovetailing, cog cutting, or any purpose where a definite depth of cut is desired."

I could have used one of those for cutting dados last week!

Erin

Mike Wenzloff
08-22-2005, 2:19 PM
Both the descriptions below from http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/backsawpage.html

The first is from an older catalog as far as I can tell and contains a bit more info.

Mike
Back Saw, No. 14
Nickel-Plated Lever Tightener and Wing Nut
Patented Jan. 27, 1914

Cherry Handle, Carved and Polished. Disston Crucible Steel blade. Warranted. One edge toothed 9 points for cutting with the grain; the other, 13 points, for cross-cutting. The slotted, heavy steel back, by means of the wing nut and lever tightener is quickly adjusted to cut any special depth required. Adapted for tenoning, shouldering, dovetailing, cog cutting, or any purpose where a definite depth of cut is desired.
The Disston No. 14 Back Saw is toothed on both edges; used for tenoning, dovetailing, patternmaking, etc. Depth of cut is regulated by heavy steel movable back. Blade of Disston steel -- one edge toothed 13 points for crosscutting; other edge, 9 points for ripping. Cherrywood handle, weatherproof finish; screw, cluster bolt and wing nut nickel-plated.

Mike Wenzloff
08-22-2005, 2:20 PM
Ya beat me to the punch as I was looking for the right page...

Great place for all things Disston.

Mike

Mike Wenzloff
08-22-2005, 2:23 PM
I could have used one of those for cutting dados last week!
Erin
They work well for dados, but at least in the size work I do I find a stair saw easier to use because my hand is nearly always over the work. Easier for me not to drop the handle end of the saw and cut too deep.

Mike

Jerry Crawford
08-22-2005, 4:08 PM
Thanks guy's. This thing appears like new except for a few finish dings on the handle. Is it particularly collectable - like rare or something? I've been looking at tools for a goodly number of years and never came across one like this.

Roger Nixon
08-23-2005, 8:44 AM
I'd say this is fairly rare. I've seen models from George Bishop and Keen Kutter but not Disston. As always in collectibles, condition is everything and this one is a beauty!