PDA

View Full Version : How remove protective coating on shipped tools?

Jerry Olexa
08-14-2015, 8:44 PM
I recently had a number of tools shipped to my home...Although they were used (some were handplanes) they were coated with a protective viscous, sticky coating...I now would like to remove the coating and clean and tune the new "old" tools..What is best way to do that...My google search produced: mineral spirits, kerosene, WD-40....My initial try with these was not good or effective..What am I missing? Let me know your thoughts and recommendations... Thanks in advance.

Steve Kohn
08-14-2015, 9:55 PM
I've used lacquer thinner. With chemical gloves, eye protection, and a vapor mask. Outside on the driveway with no possible source of ignition. And with old clothes you can throw away afterwards. I've heard of other people using gasoline (hopefully with the same precautions) but I've never been that brave/stupid.

David Hawxhurst
08-14-2015, 9:59 PM
i like acetone with the above ppe.

mark mcfarlane
08-15-2015, 4:36 AM
If it's thick, perhaps start with a hard plastic scraper to remove as much as possible. Maybe a hair dryer to soften the gunk (not a blow torch).

Erik Loza
08-15-2015, 8:41 AM
Personally, I use turpentine. Just paint it on all the parts with a paint brush and then go do something else for a while. Come back and wipe the residue off. It smells nice and won't put you to sleep in a closed area.

Erik

Keith Hankins
08-15-2015, 11:53 AM
I use mineral spirits and wd40 and its worked fine. Also used acetone works good. Goofoff is excellent, but stinks to high heaven. I use whatever I got and never had a problem. Assuming we are talking about cosmolene here.

Jerry Olexa
08-15-2015, 3:28 PM
I use mineral spirits and wd40 and its worked fine. Also used acetone works good. Goofoff is excellent, but stinks to high heaven. I use whatever I got and never had a problem. Assuming we are talking about cosmolene here.

Thank you guys for your various suggestions..I've tried some form of most of them.Scraping helping somewhat.
These are older handplanes and they are coated with this viscous, sticky substance that is troublesome/messy to work with.
I'm not sure it is cosmolene...Is there an easy way to identify it?? Then I'd be sure I'm using the right solvent... Thanks to all for your ideas and suggestions..
Maybe patience and elbow grease will eventually prevail..

Keith Hankins
08-15-2015, 5:55 PM
If it's a new tool its got a dark amber color and sticky, its probably cosomolene. I'd not worry about it. If you have mineral spirits soak a rag it in and coat the surface and let it sit for a while. If it's a nice flat surface like a jointer or something get a razor blade and start scraping.

It will come off. Worst one I did was my 12" jointer from grizzly. Man that sucker took a long time. The goof off worked the best but stunk to high heaven. Kerosene is a good one too. Just go at it. It will come off and you won't think about it (except for the sore shoulder) once your done

Good luck cheers.

Howard Acheson
08-17-2015, 9:59 AM
>>>> they were coated with a protective viscous, sticky coating

That coating is cosmoline. Most solders are familier with it as military guns and equipment was coated with it for shipping. The preferred way to remove it is with terpentine (mineral spirits works well also). Using turpentine is slightly preferred as it leaves a thin oil coating on the metal which acts as a rust preventer.

For some interesting info on cosmoline, google "cosmoline".

Earl Rumans
08-17-2015, 11:13 AM
I'll offer a different option. I have used this stuff for removing anything grease related for many years and it never ceases to amaze me how well it works on so many different things. http://www.de-solv-it.com/ I have tried other similar type products, when I couldn't find any at the store and nothing comes close to this stuff. It smells great, like oranges, and is safe to use on almost anything. I use this to clean about everything. It did a great job cleaning up my major tools when they arrived, like my Jet saw, as well as small tools like my hand planes. It even works great at getting asphalt off the car, if you run into a freshly done road. It also works great to remove tire residue, when I take my car to the track. I highly recommend it for anything oil/grease related.

Jerry Olexa
08-17-2015, 11:56 AM
Have one plane pretty much cleaned up..Scraping initially is helping.
Earl, just ordered online a bottle of desolvit....Thanks for the tip!!
Making progress albeit slow.....
Thanks to all...

Earl Rumans
08-17-2015, 12:04 PM
Let us know what you think of it. I end up getting it online also now as I haven't found anyone carrying it locally.

Jarad Medbery
08-17-2015, 12:07 PM
Maybe I got lucky (I have only had the pleasure of owning one tool sent in such a way) I used a cabinet scraper and I got the whole thing off in one strategic hit.

Al Launier
08-17-2015, 12:14 PM
I've used Krud Kutter with good results: available at Home Depot/Lowes.

Dipan Patel
08-17-2015, 1:47 PM
I had to take a lot of cosmolene off a Minimax multifunction machine. Scrape of chunky parts. Rub with diesel fuel on a rag. Probably has same function as turpentine. Leaves a little protective oily residue on the surface.

Edward Oleen
08-17-2015, 6:35 PM
If you go to the cosmoline site - www.cosmolinedirect.com - you will find COSMOLINE REMOVER!!!!! TA_DAAAAAAAAA.

It ought to work...

The pricing is:

1-Quart Can ($44.95)

1-Gallon Can ($79.95)

4-Gallon Case ($209.95)

5-Gallon Pail ($239.95)

However, I have used wd40 and kerosene. Both work. Use the kerosene OUTDOORS and when your significant other is AWAY.

My SO was not happy when I used it in the basement....

mark mcfarlane
08-18-2015, 4:47 AM
If you go to the cosmoline site - www.cosmolinedirect.com (http://www.cosmolinedirect.com) - you will find COSMOLINE REMOVER!!!!! TA_DAAAAAAAAA.

http://www.cosmolinedirect.com/content/Cosmoline_Remover-MSDS.pdf

Naptha, Xylenes, & Ethyl Benzine

Jerry Olexa
10-01-2015, 11:42 AM
Earl, wanted to give you some follow up....I ordered the product and used it on my most troublesome piece and it worked beautifully!!! Didn't work perfectly on ALL the pieces but it solved the one that was driving me up the wall..THANK YOU...great tip..It now resides in my workshop.Thanx again..

Earl Rumans
10-02-2015, 1:34 AM
You're welcome Jerry, glad it worked for you. I have found it to be an amazing product that works on so many things. It also works great for removing the tire residue that gets on the rear fenders, from the drag tires, on my Mustang. I always have a bottle in my shop.

Edward Oleen
10-03-2015, 11:58 PM
It's Cosmoline, or a modern upgrade of same. Use any organic solvent: acetone, WD40, lacquer thinner, kerosene (carefully!!!), gasoline (EXTREMELY CAREFULLY!!!!), etc.

If there are no wood or plastic parts, put the tool in a pan of solvent and cover it with something metallic: the BIG pot your wife uses for making stews, or turkey stock or something like that to prevent too much evaporation. (Sending wife on all-expense-paid shopping trip with her bestest friend is strongly advised prior to starting the clean-up.) Check every 20miinutes or so. Apply more solvent with a real (not plastic) paint brush from time to time: wear Personal Protective Equipment (breathing mask, eye protection, gloves, rubber apron. Keep kids far away.)

The above treatment will wash off the cosmoline and leave you with a lot of dirty solvent and a sort-of clean tool.

************************************************** ************************************************** ***********************************

The above is obviously facetious: I hardly advise do it. What I do advise is buying tools from suppliers who are no longer in the dark ages and manage to ship their tools without that obnoxious stuff on them.

Jerry Olexa
10-04-2015, 11:47 AM
Thanx Ed..Good info.

Kent Adams
10-04-2015, 12:28 PM
Never mind. I see you found the solution.

Tony Cognato
10-04-2015, 4:49 PM
The last time all I had was a can of brake cleaner ( spray can ) and it worked incredibly well! It dissipates quickly without residue also.

Jerry Olexa
10-16-2015, 11:38 AM
THANKS to all...Many good tips.
Better to ship without it>
Thanks!!!

Ken Seiler
10-16-2015, 10:31 PM
Try an aerosol can of 'declorinated brake cleaner'. $3-4 at Walmart. It cuts the grease on whatever some gun mfgs use.

Rollie Meyers
10-17-2015, 12:56 AM
There are suggestion for cosmoline removal here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmoline

Mike McGrath
10-17-2015, 2:08 PM
I tried low odor "Green" mineral spirits from HD on the last two tools I had to clean: The Cutech jointer and the General International Excalibur deluxe cast iron router table/lift. It worked well at removing the shipping film. It turns a milky white color when it contacts the film and this makes it easy to see what has to be wiped off. It is not as fast as the more powerful solvents but the fact that it is low odor and green appealed to me.