PDA

View Full Version : A very complex, large. carved pecan bowl

Wolf Kiessling
08-22-2005, 1:32 PM
With the wife's passing and all, everything in the Kiessling shop has been in sort of a turmoil. However, here is a project that got started back in Feb and is finally finished.

It is 11.5" high by 13.5" dia and weighs in at about 16 lbs. It had a sacrificial coat of BLO applied and after that was sanded off was followed by several coats of Watco Danish Oil. The piece is titled "Eden". The Adam and Eve are my stylized version of the "greenman" motiv. I attempted to find a pattern for the letters but was unable to come up with anything I considered suitable. Consequently, I made up my own which I suppose could be called a modified acanthus pattern. Someone told me it looked a little like Mayan hieroglyphs :-)

In any event, I am rather proud of this piece and thought I would share it with y'all. Hope you enjoy it.......

Jerry Clark
08-22-2005, 1:39 PM
WOW Wolf, that is great-- I really like the form and carving- I know that it is better than the pictures show- You made a great piece and may you find peace in your heart! Sorry for your loss.

Jim Becker
08-22-2005, 1:41 PM
Fabulous, Wolf!! The carving is wonderful. And it's good to see you post again at SMC...it's been awhile.

David Wilson
08-22-2005, 2:19 PM
Wolf
Amazing work. Welcome back.

Bruce Page
08-22-2005, 2:38 PM
Wolf, as with all of your work, I'm blown away again!

Jim Ketron
08-22-2005, 3:26 PM
Nice Job Wolf!
I have been waiting on this piece since you posted it with the drawings on it.
Awesome work!

Steve Stube
08-22-2005, 4:03 PM
I can not find words to express my sorrow for your loss or the art of your hands. I sit here and ponder a possible connection between the later and the former but dare not speak it aloud. God bless, speechless

Rick Simmons
08-22-2005, 4:27 PM
That is truly a magnificant piece. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Dave Smith
08-22-2005, 4:51 PM
Wonderful work Wolf.

I was saddened to hear of your wife's passing. Seeing you post your work again brings new joy to my heart. I saw your drawings on this subject quite a while ago. It looks better then I expected. Thank you for sharing with us.

Dave Smith

The only thing I can carve is a turkey in Longview, WA.

Chris Padilla
08-22-2005, 5:24 PM
Awesome work as always, Wolf!

John Shuk
08-22-2005, 6:24 PM
Awesome work Wolf. I'm glad to see you post too! I'm a fan for sure.
John

Keith Outten
08-22-2005, 10:29 PM
Wolf,

It is always a pleasure to see your work posted here at the Creek. Your new project is amazing as always, thanks for sharing.

We were all saddened by the news concerning your loss. It is nice to see you back at SMC and woodworking again.

Sam Blasco
08-23-2005, 9:09 AM
An arresting, haunting and stimulating piece all turned and carved with love and loss. Beautiful work. My thoughts are with you.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-23-2005, 10:05 AM
Wolf....the multitude of emotions you put into that piece is unbelieveable! Magnificant work! It's good to see you back here! Please keeping posting. Welcome back!

Ernie Nyvall
08-23-2005, 6:12 PM
Wow, that's a wonderful piece Wolf, and I see from your website that great pieces are not a stranger to you.

Ernie

Mark Singer
08-23-2005, 8:09 PM
Wolf,

Wow!!!! That is a great piece...art in one

Jules Dominguez
08-23-2005, 9:37 PM
Awesome, Wolf. I can't even conceive of having the talent to do that kind of work. Thanks for sharing your talent by letting us see that piece.

Keith Burns
08-23-2005, 9:55 PM
All of the aforementioned comments, plus more ! Thanks for sharing.

Glenn Hodges
08-24-2005, 8:09 AM
What can I add to the comments posted before? I want you to know I am sorry for your loss, and impressed with this piece.