PDA

View Full Version : Lie-Nielsen No. 9 Prototype

Malcolm Schweizer
08-14-2015, 3:49 PM
I visited my friend today. He owns 2000 plus planes. We were in his tiny workshop, and knowing that his fancy planes were at the house, I said, "So tell me, what is the coolest plane you have in this shop." I wanted to see what he really used. He takes two steps and pulls off the top of his tool chest a plane he had told me about but I had never seen. He once loaned a guy in Maine his No 9 Stanley to make a copy of. This fella he loaned it to owned a little-known tool company. He used my friend's No 9 to measure and what-not so he could create his version and in turn he gave my friend two prototypes. This is one of them.

Here is the kicker, and I did ask if that was original to the plane and it is; it has a hex-head screw! Look out folks, the Internet just blew up. Yes, you who complain when LN uses those evil slotted screws; this prototype had a hex screw for the cap iron.

Another cool thing is it had a trigger to adjust the depth of cut. Sadly, I did not get to check it out long. My hands were shaking when I took the pics.

Also, for you that asked about Cuban Mahogany- here is an antique West Indian piece he is restoring. You can see where there was a chunk missing and he filled it in with a piece of mahogany. This is part of a real Cuban Mahogany piece from the early 1800's. Locally crafted from local mahogany.

He he also pulled out a Norris smoother and a transitional plane that someone had cast a bronze body for and turned it into an infill. Also he had a LN No. 1 Bronze, a LN bronze shoulder plane, and an artisan made shoulder plane. All these were crammed into the top of an open tool chest. I love visiting him.

David Turner
08-14-2015, 4:24 PM
Beautiful work !

I just today found out that Lie Nielsen has discontinued the # 9 plane from their offerings.

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.

Patrick McCarthy
08-14-2015, 4:52 PM
Malcolm, WOW, never saw a trigger on a plane before this one. Interesting. Would love to get this guy's cast offs!

Malcolm Schweizer
08-14-2015, 5:27 PM
Malcolm, WOW, never saw a trigger on a plane before this one. Interesting. Would love to get this guy's cast offs!

You'll have to fight me for them.

Jim Koepke
08-14-2015, 7:22 PM
Neat stuff, but with all that dust on the #9 it doesn't look like it gets much use.

That thing looks to be bigger than your feet! :D

WOW, never saw a trigger on a plane before this one.

My Stanley #95 has a similar trigger like device for blade adjustment.

jtk

lawrence munninghoff
10-20-2017, 7:11 PM
LN just made a batch of no 9"s.

Kim Gibbens
10-20-2017, 9:25 PM
Didn't see it on the website. Got a link?

Malcolm Schweizer
10-22-2017, 10:08 AM
The shop where this tool was kept was totally destroyed in the storms. I have not seen Mike to ask if the tools made it. Mike owns a couple of thousand moulding planes. Not all of them were in that shop, but there were some nice ones and some Norris smoothers.

Patrick Chase
10-22-2017, 12:52 PM
The shop where this tool was kept was totally destroyed in the storms. I have not seen Mike to ask if the tools made it. Mike owns a couple of thousand moulding planes. Not all of them were in that shop, but there were some nice ones and some Norris smoothers.

Wow, so sorry to hear that. That's a huge loss.

Jim Koepke
10-23-2017, 2:27 AM

My heart aches to think about it.

jtk

lawrence munninghoff
10-29-2017, 10:23 AM
LN made a limited run. I was on a waiting list, they emailed me and I placed the order via phone. Received mine last week.