PDA

View Full Version : Spindle Sander Sleeve Storage

Bill Adamsen
08-14-2015, 10:51 AM
I have a 10 spindle Jet JOVS-10 Oscillating Spindle Sander. I currently use an empty cardboard wine box to store the sanding sleeves - I have every size in multiple grits. There has to be a better way. Can anyone share what they've done and found effective (or not)?

Mike Heidrick
08-14-2015, 11:28 AM
Mine are nested by grit in a cardboard box. I open it when I need one. Spindles have a sleeve on each one and they mount on side of machine. Mine is grizzly floor model.

glenn bradley
08-14-2015, 11:44 AM
I put mine here:

319602 . 319604

I found that when I rolled the machine out for more clearance the spindles and inserts would wander in the built in holders so I put them in a drawer also.

Mike Heidrick
08-14-2015, 12:00 PM
Separate but related, when I got my sander The previous owner had milled some zero clearance inserts in steel and alum for many of the size spindles. I am thinking of doing some more on my mill. Anyone else done this?

Bill Adamsen
08-14-2015, 12:57 PM
Mike: Zero clearance inserts ... could use for the several spindle sizes that are way off the three inserts provided. Haven't done it ... but worth considering. Mine are quite thin so I'd have to think about what material would work well.

I did create a fence sized for the largest size spindle, but which works well with most of the larger sizes. My fence is flat (both sides on same plane) so it is has limitations for thickness sanding. I'd need adjustable fence sides for that. Where it really shines is drawer corners (both box and dovetail) with the plane of the fence set at the sanding plane. And anything else where you need some depth control.

Mike Heidrick
08-14-2015, 2:52 PM
I am thinking 6061 for the inserts.

One of the inserts I have has an oval cut in it for angling the table too which I thought was cool

Bill Adamsen
09-14-2015, 7:23 PM
Apologies in advance for resurrecting the thread ... attached is a photo of the solution I worked out on Sunday. Used some scrap pine to build a compartmentalized box. It's located directly above the sander. The top divider split and I glued that up ... have to plane and fit ... then done! It will no doubt prove to be too small almost immediately. Is that a law like Moore's law?

glenn bradley
09-14-2015, 7:34 PM
Wunderbar!

Peter Quinn
09-14-2015, 9:35 PM
I like it...you went from wine box to wine rack! I feel you may want to throw a bottle of wine in one of the openings just for good measure! Looks great Bill. We use....a dirty old cardboard box!

Yonak Hawkins
09-15-2015, 12:12 AM
I found an odd, old chest at the dump that turned out to be quite useful :

Cary Falk
09-15-2015, 2:24 AM
Separate but related, when I got my sander The previous owner had milled some zero clearance inserts in steel and alum for many of the size spindles. I am thinking of doing some more on my mill. Anyone else done this?
I have some blanks cut out of Corian scraps I got from counter company. I have not cut the holes for the spindles and leveling screws yet.

Bill Adamsen
09-15-2015, 8:18 AM
from wine box to wine rack!
My largest sleeves are 4-3/16" OD which are just too large for a standard wine case ... or I'd still be using that! I like this rack. I should have "engineered in" something to deal with the wrenches and throat plates. I'll probably just hang them from the bottom on bailing wire for the next few years.