PDA

View Full Version : Veneer Question

Larry Frank
08-14-2015, 9:51 AM
I am making some small boxes about 8 x 10 with an inset plywood top and bottom.

I am using 1/8" plywood and want to veneer the plywood with some lacewood veneer. I know that in most cases it is recommended to do both sides of the plywood. With this being so thin, do I really need to do that. If I used 1/4" BB, would I need to veneer both sides?

Last question, do I need to use the same veneer on both sides or can I use a cheaper species on one side.

Jamie Buxton
08-14-2015, 10:04 AM
With a thin substrate, yes, you should veneer both sides. There's little strength in the thin substrate to keep the panel flat.

And yes, you can use some other species for the back face.

Jeffrey Martel
08-14-2015, 11:50 AM
You especially need to do both sides on thin substrates. Even on thicker ones you would need it. Using different veneer is fine.

Mike Henderson
08-14-2015, 12:43 PM
I agree with the above but I have another question. Why use 1/8" material? Why not 1/4"? 1/8" is pretty flimsy. Do you have space limitations?

Or is it just that you have the 1/8" and want to use it?

Mike

Tony Leonard
08-14-2015, 3:24 PM
I guess I'll be the odd man out here. I've done many many panels on one side only (big and small) and never had any serious issues. 1/8" plywood is generally not flat anyway! When you say inset, what does that mean exactly? I use a lot of MDF for boxes, panels, and such. For small boxes, I use 1/2" for the sides and 1/4" for the top and bottom. I typically glue the top and bottom into a rabbet. Keeps things flat and solid and gives it a nice "heft." An MDF glue joint is surprisingly strong.

My thought is that if you are going to the trouble of covering one side with nice veneer, why not cover the other side too?!? It is almost no extra trouble because you can do both sides at once. I am building a small box right now. I am using waterfall bubinga on the outside and satinwood on the inside. I like the "surprise" you get when opening the box with a dark exterior to discover the "gold" on the inside. Nice effect.

Anyway, good luck with your box. Lacewood is some nice looking stuff!

Tony

Larry Frank
08-14-2015, 7:42 PM
I am cutting a groove on the inside of the side pieces for the plywood to fit into.

The reason for the thinner plywood is the weight and feel of the box. The sides are 3/8 - 1/2" thick and am making wooden hinges. Thicker plywood gives it a much heavier feel.

I like the idea of using another species of perhaps a different color and grain as kind of a surprise. Thanks