PDA

View Full Version : White oak cutting boards

Roger McDowell
08-14-2015, 9:45 AM
I'm engraving white oak cutting boards for a client. I usually engrave through a mask and backfill with spray paint because the contrast is so poor but the client has concerns about chemicals from the paint coming into contact with food. Is there anything I can do to make the image burn darker? I'm already at maximum image density and going slower only burns deeper without making it darker. Is there any food grade dye or paint I can backfill with in place of the paint?

Scott Shepherd
08-14-2015, 9:57 AM
Roger, you can try taking the image out of focus a bit. The more out of focus, the darker it will burn to some degree.

Keith Winter
08-14-2015, 9:59 AM
Agreed with Scott. Slowing down the engraving helps too, also turning up the PPI.

Mike Troncalli
08-14-2015, 11:26 AM
A couple of points that aren't related to engraving.

Oak is not the best choice for a cutting board. Just google it... more info...
Paints sold in the US must be safe after the drying agents are dry..

These boards should not be used as a cutting board.. NOW.. They sure can be used as a Serving board.. And you can / should coat with a nice layer of shellac (also very food safe) of even a nice poly coat for better wash and wear...

Gary Hair
08-14-2015, 12:11 PM
I'm already at maximum image density and going slower only burns deeper without making it darker

Slow it down and reduce the power. Along with taking it out of focus you should get a nice dark mark.

Kev Williams
08-14-2015, 1:54 PM
http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/brownfc.jpg

David Takes
08-14-2015, 4:39 PM
Do a search for food grade paints. There are plenty of them out there.

Keith Winter
08-14-2015, 5:50 PM
I think Mikes right oak can breed more bacteria I've read. I would never poly coat or shellac a cutting or serving board though. Shellac is more natural than poly but I'd stick to 100% food safe stuff to be safe.

Mike Null
08-14-2015, 8:28 PM
I have always used mineral oil for my cutting boards. Safe, looks good, easy to re-coat when necessary.

I wouldn't be concerned about a safety issue with white oak.
Red oak, now that's another matter.

John Bion
08-15-2015, 5:26 AM
Rub in or soak the board in Mineral Oil and once dry, rub a mixture of beeswax and mineral oil into it (aprox. ratio of 4 or 5 mineral oil:1 beeswax, warmed)