PDA

View Full Version : Tung Oil question....

patrick alexander
08-14-2015, 9:12 AM
I have a walnut coffee table that has several coats of tung oil on it. Over the years, the surface has become scratched, etc. Quick and dirty "touch up" products don't seem to help at all. So, do I have to strip the entire surface? If so, how? Sanding or, is there a product that will remove the tung oil along with scraping?

Concerning products, I have another piece also with tung oil on it. I used Murphy's Wood Soap on it and it seemed to remove the tung oil. That really surprised me...I didn't think wood soap would remove a lacquer.

It's my first time on this forum, so thanks for any help.

PA

Erik Loza
08-14-2015, 9:55 AM
I'm no authority on finishing but in my experience, if the surface is physically scratched up, it will probably need to be sanded, then re-finished. If it were my table, I would just get at it with my RO sander (starting with perhaps 200 or 400-grit, then working down from there; it would really depend on how sever the scratching is). I'm sure someone with more experience than me will chime in but that's how I'd approach it.

Regarding the murphy soap, I always found that stuff to be rather strong. Too strong, in fact. I made a simple bookcase out of solid cherry boards many years ago, and finished it with Tung (pretty straight Tung from what I recall, not that Waterlox-type stuff). The only maintenance I ever did was just to wipe it with damp cloth.

Good luck with all of it.

Erik

michael langman
08-14-2015, 10:45 AM
Agree with Eric, Just sand out scratches and recoat the repaired area.

Cody Colston
08-14-2015, 11:19 AM
Since (pure) tung oil penetrates the wood surface, chemical strippers will not remove it. I would do as suggested, sand it smooth and re-apply tung oil. BTW, tung oil is not a lacquer.

Randy Goodhew
08-16-2015, 9:44 AM
What type/brand of "tung oil" did you use?

Blessings.

John TenEyck
08-16-2015, 11:07 AM
Most tung oil that's sold doesn't contain tung oil, or not much. And, as Cody said, tung oil goes into the wood, not on it, so the scratches you mentioned and damage from the Murphy's Oil soap pretty much confirm it's not tung oil. A lot of what's sold as tung oil finish is an oil or oil/varnish mix and often the oil is linseed oil which doesn't offer any real protection. In your case, I'd guess you have some kind of oil/varnish finish since it built up enough to form some sort of film. If any of that is true, I would use a chemical stripper to remove it rather than sand it. KleanStrip Premium, for example, will remove darned near anything, and a simple oil/varnish finish it will strip off about as fast as you apply it. 30 minutes max. and you'll have it all off. Then neutralize with mineral spirits, Naptha, or the "Afterwash" product KleanStrip sells. When that has dried a few hours then you can gently sand out the scratches and apply your new finish. I would consider a real varnish for the new finish.

FWIW, Murphy's Oil soap is about the mildest product you can use on furniture that has a real film finish on it. That said, I always start the cleaning process with mineral spirits. It removes all the oils and oil soluble dirt from a piece. Often nothing more needs to be done, but if there is more dirt that it hasn't removed then I wipe it with a solution of Murhpy's Oil soap, following the dilution directions. I've never damaged a film finish doing that. With an oil only finish, however, one that's in the wood with no film, I try to stay away from anything water based. Mineral spirits alone will usually get the job done. If I have to use Murphy's I wipe the piece with a dampened sponge and follow right behind with a dry towel.

John

Jerry Thompson
08-16-2015, 6:34 PM
I have used Sutherland Welles, LTD polymerized pure tung oil for a very long time and I love it.

patrick alexander
08-17-2015, 9:35 AM
Thanks for all the replies.
I used Minwax tung oil and called their help line. They insist it's definitely tung oil.

Now, if I decide to sand it with my belt sander, what grade sandpaper do you all recommend?

Pat

John TenEyck
08-17-2015, 10:46 AM
A belt sander is not the right tool for the job. A ROS is what you want. But the better choice is to strip it first, then sand it or use a scraper to remove the scratches.

John

Randy Goodhew
08-17-2015, 6:08 PM
Thanks for all the replies.
I used Minwax tung oil and called their help line. They insist it's definitely tung oil.

Now, if I decide to sand it with my belt sander, what grade sandpaper do you all recommend?

Pat

"IS" versus "CONTAINS"

Minwax Tung Oil Finish (complete and proper name) is a Tung Oil/Resin wiping varnish (varnish diluted with solvent).
It should be treated as an oil-based varnish, when applying, repairing or stripping.
It IS NOT pure or raw Tung Oil.

Hope this helps.
Blessings.