PDA

View Full Version : What kind of paint?

Hoang N Nguyen
08-14-2015, 9:08 AM
What kind of paint do they use to get that nice, smooth and glossy finish on store bought furniture? I'm in the planning phases of doing a major reno for my wife's walk in closet and started thinking about finishes. I wanted to get the same results as the furniture you buy from the store like the book shelves, cabinets and such. I'll see if I can get a picture of some we have to give an idea of what I'm talking about in case some aren't catching what I'm trying to say.

Jim Becker
08-14-2015, 8:21 PM
Honestly, they do not use "paint" in the normal sense of the word. Factory finishes are different animals than what most of us are capable of applying. Some of the latest factory finishes are complex polyester based products; others are types of conversion varnishes, etc.

If you're talking white or a light color, I've had very good results (if painting in place) with Sherwin Williams ProClassic Acrylic in my sheen of choice. Goes on easy and marks tend to disappear. If I can finish in the shop, I spray a water borne acrylic product. For me, that's typically Target Coatings 6000 (clear) or 6500 (white).