PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw blade

Michael Cole
08-14-2015, 12:47 AM
I bought a used Rikon bandsaw a few weeks ago and have done nothing with it since I was tied up with getting the workshop finished. So now that it is done, I have moved the bandsaw into the shop and am getting ready to set it up and try it out. It has a big wide blade on it now that the previous owner said needed replacing especially if I wasn't sawing logs. I know nothing about bandsaws so what would be a decent blade to purchase to start with. How wide and teeth per inch? I probably will be using it mainly to resaw hardwood, but since I have never had one, I am sure I will find other uses. I can buy other blades as time goes on, but would just like to get going. Is there a "standard" blade type one uses?

Matt Day
08-14-2015, 7:19 AM
Michael,
You will find tons of threads that will answer your questions if you do a bit of searching. Bandsaw blade questions are just as common as "which bandsaw" questions.
Good luck with your new to you saw.

lowell holmes
08-14-2015, 8:46 AM
What size is your bandsaw?

Highland Hardware and Woodcraft can both help you with this.

Look for Mark Duginske 's book on bandsaws.

Cody Colston
08-14-2015, 11:15 AM
A 3/4", 2 or 3 tpi is a good choice for resawing if your saw will tension a blade that big. I like the Woodslicer blades from Highland. A 3/8", 6 tpi blade is good for general use cutting curves in 3/4" or so stock. That's what I keep on my saw as an everyday blade.

I have various width blades in various TPI for my 17" Grizzly bandsaw, ranging from 1/8" (bandsaw boxes) to 3/4" (resawing). I am not one who hesitates to change bandsaw blades for a specific task.

Michael Cole
08-14-2015, 11:22 AM
It is a 14" Rikon. I believe it will take blades from 1/8" to 3/4" at 111" but I misplaced the manual so have to find that.

Cody Colston
08-14-2015, 11:37 AM
I wouldn't go bigger than a 1/2" blade on a 14" saw. It will likely not tension a 3/4" blade sufficiently.

John Donofrio
08-14-2015, 1:23 PM
I wouldn't go bigger than a 1/2" blade on a 14" saw. It will likely not tension a 3/4" blade sufficiently.

As a fellow owner of a 14" Rikon, I have to disagree. No issues using a 3/4" blade as long as the saw is tuned well.

Allan Speers
08-14-2015, 3:17 PM

My Delta X5 14" tensioned a 3/4" Wood Slicer just fine. Of course, most blades are thicker than the W.S. & may be more problematic, but that's a very good resaw blade for smaller saws.