PDA

View Full Version : lumber stock lengths

Dave Cottrell
08-13-2015, 2:12 PM
I have a huge pile of boards I need to remove from its present location. Most of it is around 16 feet in length, which is too long for my vehicle and storage area. Does it destroy the value of the wood (mostly various hardwoods) if I cut it to 8, 10, or 12 foot lengths?

Matt Day
08-13-2015, 2:35 PM
From my experience, 8' is generally the shortest standard length board. Below 8' is considered a "short" and sold at a discounted price. 10' and 12' are common as well.

Cody Colston
08-13-2015, 3:54 PM
At 16' lengths, I am guessing it is all construction grade lumber. If so, cut about half of it in two for 8' lengths and make the rest the longest lengths you can accommodate. You can generally find a use for short boards but when a long one is needed, nothing else will work.

glenn bradley
08-13-2015, 4:23 PM
Think of the items you make and try not to cut shorter than will provide material for these things. When I have to lop a board off to get it home or to store it once there I determine the length based on the figure. That is; even though and 8' piece and a 4' piece might store well, if a pair of 6' pieces leave me a better figure pattern on the material left, I do that.

Jeffrey Martel
08-13-2015, 4:30 PM
The rule of thumb I usually follow is to keep it as long as possible.

Mike Cutler
08-13-2015, 7:25 PM
I wouldn't cut them to move them. I'd rent a larger truck or trailer first. If they won't physically fit in their new storage location, I would only cut off the minimum necessary.

A board can always be made wider. Not so easy to make it longer.

Mark Stutz
08-13-2015, 7:40 PM
If you must cut it, mark the two pieces so that they can be used together for future projects. Best way to get grain and color match is to make as much of the project from one board as possible, especially with woods like cherry and walnut. Only cut them as a last resort.

David Ragan
08-13-2015, 8:57 PM
Think of the items you make and try not to cut shorter than will provide material for these things. When I have to lop a board off to get it home or to store it once there I determine the length based on the figure. That is; even though and 8' piece and a 4' piece might store well, if a pair of 6' pieces leave me a better figure pattern on the material left, I do that.

Yep. If I must cut, I account for the longest project I might want to make. Impossible with certainty.