PDA

View Full Version : Architects in SC

Dave Brandt
08-22-2005, 10:22 AM
We have purchased a home in Greenwood, SC (on the lake :D ) The house is nine years old with lots of potential (huge, unfinished attic, kitchen needing updating, etc.) We wanted to consult an architect to see what options we have. Does anyone know of a good, creative one in our area, or within an hour or so drive? Or how I'd go about finding one. We don't settle until September 20th and probably won't be moving down until sometime in October, but I'd like to make contact now to get the ball rolling. For the picture police, here's my new backyard.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-22-2005, 10:27 AM
Excuse me while I wipe a way the DROOL!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-22-2005, 10:30 AM
Okay....I'm back.....Nice view Dave!

Jim Becker
08-22-2005, 10:31 AM
This organization may be helpful to you: http://www.aia.org/

Congrats on the new property...looks wonderful and relaxing!

Dave Brandt
08-22-2005, 1:08 PM
Thanks guys. Jim, I've been to that site and do have a list of architects in Greenville. I just thought maybe someone from the Creek could recommend someone. My covert goal is to open up the attic with a couple of bedrooms and a bath, then steal a couple of bedrooms in the lowest level (there would be three) for a shop :D .

Jim Becker
08-22-2005, 1:32 PM
Dave, hopefully you'll get some recommendations, but even then, it's important to interview 3-5 of them to find someone you are comfortable with and who sees things in ways you can appreciate. There is a pretty good discussion on this in the current issue of This Old House magazine where the owner of the new projects house (believe it or not...a really modern design this time) went through 5 before he found the "right person".

Dave Brandt
08-22-2005, 1:59 PM
Thanks Jim. I got about a dozen names from the AIA, which by the way, is headquartered right across the street from where I'm working now (18th & E Sts. N.W. Washington DC). I'll be moving out of ground zero!