PDA

View Full Version : Dead Milwaukee 14.4 charger

Joe Pack
08-13-2015, 12:16 AM
My Milwaukee 14.4 charger died. Can it be fixed, or should I look for another? It is the universal Power Plus 9.6-18v (red) that charges either NiCad or NmH batteries.

I had noticed that my batteries did not seem to have much charge lately, only lasting a few minutes, even though the charger indicated they had been fully charged. (batteries rebuilt about 2 years ago, used maybe once every 2-3 weeks). Yesterday I went to recharge a battery and got nothing...no indicator light, nothing. Tried two different outlets, but no luck.

Any ideas?

Joe

Ralph Boumenot
08-13-2015, 5:52 AM
Maybe it's not the charger but the batteries?

George Bokros
08-13-2015, 7:18 AM
I would agree with Ralph. I had some batteries rebuilt some years ago and had problems with them.

Robert Parent
08-13-2015, 7:49 AM
I had a Milwaukee charger for a 9.6 drill that died a few years back. The circuit board was coated with what appeared to be epoxy powdercoat. There was no way to debug and fix so in the trash it went. I really liked the drill but it was way cheaper to just buy something new.

Robert

Steve Pippins
08-13-2015, 1:22 PM
Joe, my Milwaukee 14.4 charger died as well.

If you are going to throw yours out, please ship it to me and I will pay the cost of shipping.
I do not know if I can get one working swapping parts but will give it a try. The Milwaukee 14.4
drill is excellent and I do not want to replace it.

Steve

Erik Loza
08-13-2015, 2:11 PM
I had a Milwaukee charger for a 9.6 drill that died a few years back. The circuit board was coated with what appeared to be epoxy powdercoat. There was no way to debug and fix so in the trash it went. I really liked the drill but it was way cheaper to just buy something new.

Robert

I just went through the exact same thing and came to the same conclusion: Drill guns are like desktop printers. It's cheaper to buy a whole new unit. I don't get attached to my drill guns any longer.

Erik

Bill Orbine
08-13-2015, 6:40 PM
I just went through the exact same thing and came to the same conclusion: Drill guns are like desktop printers. It's cheaper to buy a whole new unit. I don't get attached to my drill guns any longer.

Erik

You are a very smart man, Erik! Buying new batteries is like buying ink for the printer!

Joe Pack
08-14-2015, 12:18 AM
Thanks, folks. I appreciate it.

Ralph and George, I checked the terminals with a voltage meter...nothing there.

I did some internet research and found a bit of information. I'm going to open it up and check the fuse and/or loose connections. I have nothing to lose. From what I saw on Youtube videos, this interior is essentially one soldered board...if I don't find anything loose or anything wrong with the fuse, I'll junk it. In that case, Steve, I would be glad to ship it to you. I won't tear anything up when I check it (I hope).