PDA

View Full Version : The price of bamboo.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-12-2015, 10:47 PM
Good grief. I just priced some bamboo dimensional "lumber" (laminated to dimensional lumber specs) and it was $18/bft. I thought bamboo was fast growing and cheap to produce. Anyway, I found the answer to my question; "Why doesn't anyone build a bamboo top for a workbench?"

gary rosema
02-02-2021, 7:40 PM
Its very tough and stable

Rob Luter
02-02-2021, 8:15 PM
It’s eco friendly. Think of the children :).

We had a bamboo floor installed several years ago. It was miserable. It sanded like granite and took stain about as well. Floor guy said it was the last time he would touch it. At the end of the two week process it looked good, but was very sensitive to changes in humidity. Oak for the win going forward.

John TenEyck
02-03-2021, 1:01 PM
Nothing "green" about bamboo lumber, flooring, etc. That's marketing foo-foo. Think of the energy it takes to move that stuff from Asia to NA. Think of the resins involved in turning all those little strips of wood into a workable product. It's surprising actually that it's as cheap as it is.

Wherever you are, use local wood whenever possible. Help people in your area earn a living.

John

Mel Fulks
02-03-2021, 1:41 PM
Years ago many 'Mercans gave up cutting "midget grass" and decided to "reach for the sky" with shade providing bambooo
Now the USA is bamboo independent. A recent pole (of people fishing with bamboo poles) shows great satisfaction. Some
store medicine between the joints.