PDA

View Full Version : Arts And Crafts Coffee Table - Finished

Mike Allen1010
08-12-2015, 9:34 PM
Last post – finally finished arts and crafts inspired, white oak coffee table. Previous build pics are in separate posts.

Most recently, I had a finishing disaster related to an inlay in the tabletop. Details in previous post.
In summary, overall finish for the project included dye and subsequent stain – my challenge was trying to prevent those from coloring the inlay. These pictures basically show the downward spiral into a smoking hole in the ground; scraped the inlay flush with the tabletop and then tried to blend the finish around the inlay into the rest the tabletop – epic failure. Masked off inlay and apply finish over entire area – not much better!

Ultimately, I planed the table top back to bare wood, carefully masked off the inlay and reapplied the finish. Once I got to the clear coat and removed the masking tape and it sort of worked out.

Here’s the complete project with hardware installed – thanks to my fellow Neanders for the suggestions.

Hopefully these pictures show the exposed, chamfered through Tennons and plugs covering the pinned M&T joints.

Mike Allen1010
08-12-2015, 9:41 PM
I probably went overboard and the rest of these pictures – sorry.

Here’s the “hidden” drawer added by request from my “customer” – our oldest son.

Mike Allen1010
08-12-2015, 9:43 PM
And the hopefully happy owner – it took 20 minutes to clear the crap off the floor in his room to find a place to put the table – oh to be young and carefree!

Thanks for looking, Mike

Kent A Bathurst
08-12-2015, 10:13 PM
Came out great, Mike.

Lessons learned move everyone forward.

I like the drop pulls/handles you got for the doors - fit the stiles' space nicely, and match up great with the drawer handles.

Nicely done, Sir. Nicely indeed.

Joe Bailey
08-12-2015, 10:32 PM
good stuff, Mike -- this post is greatly appreciated

Brian Holcombe
08-12-2015, 10:47 PM
Very nice work Mike! I really like how it turned out.

Glen Johnson
08-12-2015, 10:59 PM
Very nice. Thanks for posting.

Christopher Charles
08-12-2015, 11:31 PM
"oh to be young and carefree!" Ain't that the truth! And which begs the question, whatever would the young and carefree put in a hidden drawer...

Fabulous work and great posts. Thanks again for taking the time to post Mike.

Cheers,
C

Phil Mueller
08-13-2015, 10:37 AM
Well done. The hardware looks really nice. Glad you were able to work through the finishing...would never know.
Thanks for posting!

Mike Allen1010
08-13-2015, 2:14 PM
Came out great, Mike.

Lessons learned move everyone forward.

I like the drop pulls/handles you got for the doors - fit the stiles' space nicely, and match up great with the drawer handles.

Nicely done, Sir. Nicely indeed.

Thanks a lot Kent. I really appreciate all your help with this project – both the finish ingredients/schedule and the hardware were your suggestions. I'm not very creative/artistic and both of these are problems for me.I really appreciate all the insight and expertise that people like you here in the Creek freely offer.

Mike Allen1010
08-13-2015, 2:22 PM
[QUOTE=Christopher Charles;2454760]"oh to be young and carefree!" Ain't that the truth! And which begs the question, whatever would the young and carefree put in a hidden drawer...

Thanks guys for your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed the thread.

Chris, one thing I've learned in raising two boys 25 and 21, is there are is there are lots of questions like this that I'm much better off not knowing! I'm sure my boys think I'm incredibly unaware and "out of it" because of all the things in their lives I don't ask about or comment on, and I'm happy to keep it that way:)

All the best, Mike

Chuck Hart
08-13-2015, 7:04 PM
Mike thanks for sharing the whole process mistakes and all. Makes the build seem real. I enjoyed watching.

Chuck

Frederick Skelly
08-13-2015, 7:22 PM
Beautiful work Mike!

Mark Stutz
08-13-2015, 7:27 PM
It turned out great, Mike. My 2 boys are a few years older, but I couldn't agree more with your philosophy!:D

I appreciate you posting this as it went. I know how much effort is involved, but we can all learn something from others projects, especially the trials and tribulations. Thanks for baring it all!:eek: Wait, that doesn't sound right. But you know what I mean.;):D

Nick Stokes
08-13-2015, 8:18 PM
Thanks for sharing. That looks great. Super cool project.

Kent A Bathurst
08-13-2015, 11:23 PM
Thanks a lot Kent. I really appreciate all your help with this project – both the finish ingredients/schedule and the hardware were your suggestions. I'm not very creative/artistic and both of these are problems for me.I really appreciate all the insight and expertise that people like you here in the Creek freely offer.

Hang nuttin' on me, brudda. I just sit here in the cheap seats, sidelined with the shoulder rehab schtick, feet on the bench with a beer and some popcorn and throw stuff out. You actually had to figure out how to make things work. On the hardware, I just happened to have spent a lot of time making bookmarks of places that had stuff close-but-no-cigar to what I was looking for. Few minutes rummaging around.... not like I was actually doing anything, dig?

Very glad it all turned out good.

On the hidden drawer.........

In my day, it would have been for dope and condoms. But - those are mainstream now, and my parents are 90 so they don't care anymore, so I'm not sure what I would use it for???