PDA

View Full Version : Promotional Materials

Alan Young
08-22-2005, 9:42 AM
Our wood club "Ames Woodworkers Club" located in Ames Iowa is planning a small wood show at the local Mall October 15 and 16. We are planning on turning pens for the Freedom Pen Project. I have ordered 50 kits and supplies to go along with it. My question is, is there any information other then on www.freedompen.org. to help us promote the project? Does anyone have any guidelines or ideas for a display? Is the graphic on the web site available in a format that can be enlarged to say a poster size. Any help would be much appreciated.

Alan

John M. Cioffi
08-22-2005, 12:22 PM
Alan,

Thanks for your work for the FPP.
Here's what I did.
There is a poster on the site of a Soldier, with a helicopter,ect. I'm sure you have seen it.
I printed out this poster & had a friend, who is a graphics artist enlarge it on his machine & adhere it to a white foam board. I made a large window size & a smaller sized one that I stood up in front of my lathe. It worked great. Anything else you may think of, could be useful also.
Let us all know how you made out with your turnathon.
John

Earl Reid
08-22-2005, 7:43 PM
Hi Alan,
Last Jan We Had a display and pen demos at the I-x center in Cleveland. I had the posters enlarged and printed at Kinko's . We were there 4 days and we raised $1800. I talked to the people and showed what we were doing. My BIL , Merv turned pens The space was donated to us by Lyndhurst lumber. The pics will show the setup.
In July we had a yard sale and I set up and turned pens and accepted donations, My wife also gave me all the money from the sale for pen kits.
The pics will show the set up and how we displayed the pens. At this time we have a Pen demo in the works at Lyndhurst lumber in the fall. Our local, Charity Weiner wagon will be raising money later this week for pen kits. Hope This helps. Good Luck :)
Earl

Keith Outten
08-22-2005, 10:44 PM
Alan,

I can probably find the graphics files you need for your display. Shoot me an email and I will send you a zip file of the photos I have.

Earl,

You need one of those really big pens like Jerry made. It would make a stunning prop for your Freedom Pens display. Keep up the good work.

Dave Bonde
08-23-2005, 12:08 AM
Hello Alan - I didn’t realize you were so close to me I'm in Iowa Falls. I will include a picture of a display I used at the South East Polk Industrial Technology Expo. It might give you some more ideas – or if you want some pictures of students working with the FPP you can use the display or I can send you some pictures. Let me know if I can help. Dave

Alan Young
08-23-2005, 9:38 AM
Thanks for all the advice. Earl where did you find the poster or graphic you used to make you large poster? I don't seem to find it on the freedom pen site. All of your displays look really nice. Dave nice to hear from someone close by. If any of you are in the Ames Ia area on October 15th and 16th stop by the Mall and say Hi. I hope this is just the start of our freedom pen turning.

Alan

Earl Reid
08-23-2005, 10:41 AM
The posters were on the pen sitr, I don't recall who made them. Ken made the one of uncle sam. I think Ken or Keith sent me the pics, I copied them on a floppy and took them to Kinko's. They were enlarged to 20"X 30" , they charged me $40.00 for 2 posters. They also didn't want to print them, they said they were too good not to be copywrited. I had to sign as the owder of them. They are very nice posters.
Good luck , Earl :) :)

Art Hendrix
08-27-2005, 1:38 AM
Alan, I can tell you where we got our posters, both big and small, like the one in Earl's display. Arvin Brown made them and sent them to us in April, 2004 for only the cost of the postage. He sent us 2 of the big ones and we used them at 4 or 5 TATs last year, but the rain finally got to them at the Hunt Co. Fair. This year I e-mailed him to request some more, but he couldn't do it because his place of business has moved and he doesn't have a large copier available.

I still have a couple smaller ones here. They are about 11 x 15 inches. I could send you one if it would help. It's too big for my scanner. Send me a PM if you want that.

I think someone, maybe Ken, made a cd of a poster available to some folks last year. You could do a search in the old messages.

Good luck!

Art Hendrix

Kent Crowell
08-30-2005, 11:12 PM
Hi all,
This Midland Tx Jr Hi Tech Ed/Shop teacher needs the FPP poster zip files for a grant application due Thursday morning.

The Arts Assembly has some motel/hotel tax money and I want some to buy our kits and materials for this year's pen-a-thons.

Last January we made 102 pens in one day at the local Home Depot:
17 kids, 5 parents, 1 Tech Ed teacher.

Materials and cash donated last year by the Texas Mesquite Association and the South West Association of Turners. Could not have got it done without this kind of support.

Thanks in advance,
Kent