PDA

View Full Version : Using bandsaw blade wax

James Nugnes
08-12-2015, 5:18 PM
Got a question for guys that might have used this stuff already or others that know of the stuff. I have a stick of that Olson Bandsaw Blade wax. It is supposed to make it easier for your blade to get through the wood saving the blade and making it less taxing for the saw.

My bandsaw has urethane tires. Just wondering if the wax tends to build up on the tires. The Olson propaganda says to just apply the wax to the blade while running and that heat will then melt the wax so that it covers the teeth evenly. but that sort of sounds like something that will also get on the tires. maybe it does and is easy to clean off.

Anyway, I have never really tried it before. If i is really not that effective and does leave you with extra cleanup to do, I would likely pass. But if it is good stuff to use, then what the heck. Anybody using it or have used it?

Rod Sheridan
08-12-2015, 6:13 PM
I almost 4 decades in industry I've never heard of, or used band saw blade wax.

The 3 tricks to good band saw performance are

1) Buy a good band saw that can tension the blade properly

2) Select the proper blade for the application

3) Blades are consumables, throw them out when dull or damaged (Unless it's a valuable blade worth repairing).

Regards, Rod.

James Nugnes
08-12-2015, 6:26 PM
The stuff is cheap enough and sold by Olson. But if it really doesn't do anything I would rather not simply because it sounds like something that would get onto stuff inside your bandsaw besides the blade. Then how the heck do you get it off of those!

Where it sounds like it might be worthwhile is when you get north of 3 tpi or 4 tpi blades. If it moved the dust off the teeth more efficiently on the higher tpi count blades then it might be worth considering.

Allan Speers
08-12-2015, 6:42 PM
I've been using Olson wax for years. I definitely notice a difference when cutting curves, not so much when resawing, but as far as build up & problems with urethane tires: None.

James Nugnes
08-12-2015, 8:03 PM
Thanks Allan.....very helpful. Do you find it helpful even on the lower tpi blades like 3 and 4 or is it more useful on 6 tpi blades and up? I cut a fair number of curves myself.

Allan Speers
08-12-2015, 9:05 PM
I really don't know. I just know that if I'm doing curves and it's been a long time since I used the stick, I notice a difference after a quick lube. I only use one blade for curves and it a 1/2" Lennox Diemaster, about 10 tpi I think. I'd have to go out tomorrow and measure it to be sure.

Anyway, those sticks are cheap, last forever, and don't seem to cause trouble, so why not? Plus they probably help prevent rust, in a really humid shop. (I used to spray Boshield on my blades, and even that didn't cause any trouble.)

YMMV, I guess, but I doubt it.