PDA

View Full Version : Tool Gloat - Powermatic 719A

Dale Murray
08-12-2015, 3:18 PM
I picked this bad boy up Saturday.

Technically it is used but so far as I can tell it was barely used - the lacquer coating is still present on the cast iron.

Last night I installed some wheels I had around, wiped things down, and assembled.

It came with one Jet 1/4" bit. I'll need to acquire a few more, I'm thinking 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", 1" (I'll need the 1" for the bench I'm going to build).
Apparently the LeeValley premium bits are good, any thoughts?

Advice and thoughts are appreciated.

Robert Payne
08-12-2015, 4:43 PM
I have the bench top Powermatic mortiser that came with four decent chisel/bits and then bought the premium larger chisels from Lee Valley -- here is a link (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=53252&cat=1,180,42240,53317). They are very good quality.

Scott Brandstetter
08-12-2015, 11:43 PM
Dale
I picked up the same tool last weekend and although I haven't had a lot of time to work with it, the reviews say it's the real deal. It seems to be a beast and with the left/right, front/back controls, tilting table, strong motor, not sure what else would be wanted in a mortiser. I paid $650 for mine with a mobile base and 4 bits. Feel like I stole it.

Kent A Bathurst
08-12-2015, 11:56 PM
Got that same dog. Cannot be beat. 15 years. Nice score - - you will not regret it, and you will never replace it.

Mine has always been on a bench, FWIW. Never anchored it - to darn heavy to have to worry about that.

The LV hollow chisels are definitely the ones to go with, IMO. Superior quality.

The only downside is that - last time I asked - they do not have separate replacement drill bits available - only the set. All that means is keep it sharp, don't over-plunge the tool's capacity to hog wood, and you won't snap the bit. Which is appropriate for any brand. Not really sure why I asked them that question, because I would never have snapped a bit..........:o

Dale Murray
08-13-2015, 12:29 PM
This one does not have the tilting table but honestly, I think I might prefer it that way; if it never tilts then I never need to question if its returned to zero. I will just make jigs for those occasions when I need a tilt.

I tuned up the existing 1/4" bit yesterday and did some testing by doing a series of cuts on the X axis and the Y axis, in both cases there was ZERO stepping in the cuts.
I then did a through cut by going half way through a 3-1/3" chunk of oak, flipping end for end and doing the other half. Those mortises met seamlessly in the middle as one would hope.

Ultimately, the machine is completely dialed in from the get go.

I'm happy with it, now I need to find time to

Mike Tekin
08-13-2015, 1:10 PM
I have the 719T version and its a heck of a machine - probably the only tool which Powermatic makes that isn't over inflated in price compared to others. The fit and finish is great.

Regarding hollow chisels, Lee Valley premium are great but here is a tip - check out Grizzly's premium mortising chisels - they are the SAME Star-M brand, Made in Japan that lee valley sells but approximately 20% cheaper. I have both and it looks like the only difference is each chisel has the company's name stamped on them and Grizzly sells all 3/4" shank size while Lee Valley sells 5/8" shank in the smaller sizes and 3/4" shank in the bigger sizes. What is nice is that these machines take the 5/8, 3/4, 1" shank sizes so you aren't limited to selection.

Dale Murray
08-14-2015, 9:22 AM
I have the 719T version and its a heck of a machine - probably the only tool which Powermatic makes that isn't over inflated in price compared to others. The fit and finish is great.

Regarding hollow chisels, Lee Valley premium are great but here is a tip - check out Grizzly's premium mortising chisels - they are the SAME Star-M brand, Made in Japan that lee valley sells but approximately 20% cheaper. I have both and it looks like the only difference is each chisel has the company's name stamped on them and Grizzly sells all 3/4" shank size while Lee Valley sells 5/8" shank in the smaller sizes and 3/4" shank in the bigger sizes. What is nice is that these machines take the 5/8, 3/4, 1" shank sizes so you aren't limited to selection.

I like the sounds of that; grizzly v LeeValley. It only makes sense the larger the chisel the larger the arbor. I bought this knowing I need to make several dozen 1" mortises in hard maple in a few months.

Bill McNiel
08-14-2015, 1:04 PM
I've had the 719 for over 20 years and have nothing but solid experiences with it. I would suggest you consider using a smaller bit, say 1/2" double rowed, rather than the 1" for hard maple.

Kent A Bathurst
08-14-2015, 4:40 PM
I've had the 719 for over 20 years and have nothing but solid experiences with it. I would suggest you consider using a smaller bit, say 1/2" double rowed, rather than the 1" for hard maple.

Either that, or a 48" extender bar for the handle, so you can do pullups on the far end while you try to dig out that much HM in one pass.........

Dale Murray
08-14-2015, 10:56 PM
Either that, or a 48" extender bar for the handle, so you can do pullups on the far end while you try to dig out that much HM in one pass.........

Both are reasonable options.