PDA

View Full Version : Need Information about Air Graving

Edward Ike Brown
08-12-2015, 3:02 PM
I'm about to start airgraving and I'm trying to get as much information as possible (short of going to a week+ long course).

I've been laser engraving for over ten years but I want to get into hand engraving. I've been looking at GRS tools and few other companys. I see so many configurations of setups and I want to do it right, one time (hopefully).

Can anyone share what systems are good and what components are required? Again I've checked with a couple companies sales departments but I feel I may not be getting the whole story since they are biased.

Thanks for your help!

Kev Williams
08-12-2015, 3:44 PM
Took me awhile to find these guys:

http://profitablehobbies.com/systems/

The link takes you to their air engraver systems. Pics are a little lacking...

They used to be known as Paragraphics and Paragrave, which is why I couldn't find them. I know of them because the business is only a few miles from me, and I have one of their air engravers. And until a few years ago I was who drilled the holes in the 1" thick plex blocks that used to hold the 25-someodd tools for them.

Right after getting my first Vanguard 5000XT machine in 1989, they came to me to see if there was a way to put their 'graver in place of my spindle, the idea was to engrave stainless saw blades. They fabricated a holder for the 'graver that would fit my spindle boss. The short version ends with it didn't work so good, as there was no way to regulate the depth of engraving other than by my spindle head down travel, and while it engraved SS great, it was too inconsistent. The 'graver is also very delicate, and there's still a nice dent in the side of mine from the set screw that tried to hold it in place. (the dent didn't hurt the function)...

For my time, they let me keep the 'graver :)

Anyway, THAT all said-- Any person who can draw even halfway decent, should consider getting one of these. Not sure how others work, but this one amazed me. The thing spins at 400,000 rpm, and once you find the right tool, you can draw on glass, plex, wood, steel or anything else, as effortlessly as putting a pen to paper. Pick a stone-ended tool or a dull burr, and it will burn wood just like a woodburning iron, only do it as fast as you can draw... you can make intricate saw cuts in eggshells, something the company owner does regularly...

There may be others that will work, possibly much cheaper as they're not exactly inexpensive. I just know this one WORKS! My only problem is, I CAN'T draw halfway decent! (I need computers to help me!)

Scott Shepherd
08-12-2015, 3:48 PM
This guy is known to have set the standard in modern times....

http://www.airgraver.com/Hand_Engraving_Tools_Overview.htm

Tony Lenkic
08-12-2015, 4:52 PM
Check out Engraverscafe forum for more info.

http://wwwdot engraverscafedotcom/

Edward Ike Brown
08-13-2015, 9:24 AM
Thanks alot everyone for the suggestions. Yes, the two main companies I've been looking at are Lindsey and GRS Tools but I am slowly understanding theres SO many different companies each with their own designs that differ. Definitly isn't a "standard" like fiber and CO2 ect. that I deal with now.

I can draw, well I used to draw well back in the day, I've also pondered the though of creating on PC, imprinting via laser, hand etching the laser imprint. Free hand would be ideal but I don't see much difference in paper printing transfers.

Thanks to the links for the forums too, I've just signed up over a Lindsey and I'll check out Cafe today -

Thanks again!!! If anyone ever needs help with CO2s just ask, about done it all with those things...