PDA

View Full Version : Comparing BOSS LS to HP

adam smiz
08-12-2015, 2:45 PM
So I am on the fence about getting the new BOSS LS 4055 or the HP 4055. The difference between the two is about 6k and the HP is oxygen assisted, able to cut double the depth of the LS. I would like to be able to cut 3/4" hard wood but am going back and forth on what route to take. Looking for some input if anyone has experience. Would be great to cut 3/4" but at $6,000 can I just achieve the same goal with multiple cuts? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Tony Lenkic
08-12-2015, 3:16 PM
Adam,

HP 4055 is a laser printer with toner, as far as I know. Cannot compare them as they are different animals.

Scott Shepherd
08-12-2015, 3:17 PM
Make sure Dave Sheldrake sees this. There's a major safety issue with some Chinese lasers with oxygen. They are deadly dangerous. He's mentioned it a number of times so he'll chime in, I'm sure.

adam smiz
08-12-2015, 9:08 PM
Adam,

HP 4055 is a laser printer with toner, as far as I know. Cannot compare them as they are different animals.

Hey tony, the hp 4055 is one of Boss's laser off thier new line. It is the same as thier LS version but it has an oxygen fed air assist.

Tony Lenkic
08-13-2015, 8:17 AM
Thanks for update Adam.

Bill George
08-13-2015, 8:50 AM
Cutting plywood or anything with Oxygen would seem to be pretty dangerous. Big question is Why?

Bert Kemp
08-13-2015, 8:56 AM
I think Fire would be the problem, oxygen and a laser beam and wood cutting yikes. I would really check into this:eek:

Cutting plywood or anything with Oxygen would seem to be pretty dangerous. Big question is Why?

Scott Shepherd
08-13-2015, 9:04 AM
That was Dave's complaint, I believe. That there is no protection system on the Chinese systems to protect from a massive explosion. On Western machines, they have serious protection to make sure that never happens.

Bill George
08-13-2015, 10:09 AM
That was Dave's complaint, I believe. That there is no protection system on the Chinese systems to protect from a massive explosion. On Western machines, they have serious protection to make sure that never happens.
Check the morning news.... major explosion and fire in China at one of the ports. Hazmat storage and explosive storage areas don't seem to be problem.

Dave Sheldrake
08-16-2015, 2:25 PM
Just got back from being away but I'll get on this tonight soon as I'm all sorted here...

Dave Sheldrake
08-16-2015, 7:21 PM
Back,

The addition of high pressure oxygen to a cheap Chinese machine unless done very carefully and certified is an accident waiting to happen.

Some time ago I looked at a direct import Chinese machine (they are all very much the same) that offered OxyAssist, spoke to a friend who works for HSE (Health & Safety Executive) who promptly almost coughed a lung when he saw the spec sheet and mentioned irrespective of our long time friendship he would happily close me down if I even thought about buying one and having it fitted at work.

The problem is intrinsic safety, Oxygen isn't flammable BUT it supports and accelerates burning in pretty much any substance...that's great when you are talking about a $100,000 Kern or a $1,500,000 Mitsubishi but when you are buying a machine made to a cost rather than a standard from a far eastern manufacturer who has little if any regulatory powers to worry about that's when things go wrong.

The testing and safety requirements for Oxygen use in an industrial environment are huge and complex. Blow back arrestors, Oxygen grade gas lines, Intrinsic electrical safety certificates, gas overload venting, unused gas displacement to name a few.

There is one company in the world who offer a Chinese made UK distributed Oxylaser and that's HPC over here, Chris Jacobs (The MD) is the ONLY person I know and trust enough to buy such a machine from simply based on the fact the guy KNOWS lasers and high pressure gasses and will have made such modifications or adjustments needed to meet strict safety laws.

Trust me..high pressure oxygen is NOT a toy...it's not a hobby..it's not something to *try out* or *have a play with*

What it is , is a highly exothermic supporter of fire that when unleashed with anything less than flawless quality control will happily relocate your house, your neighbours house and any,soon to be non living things inside either of them.

I love Chinese lasers...Boss are probably a good company...that however is not enough to make me risk my life and that of those around me by using a machine that can turn into a bomb very quickly without absolute certainty that the people supplying the machine have a flawless,provable history of knowing exactly what they are doing.

If anybody trying to sell you a laser tells you that Oxygen can be used to cut much thicker wood.....run away quickly...Oxygen assist is designed to be used to cut metal NOT flammable substrates.

Gary Hair
08-16-2015, 7:37 PM
and your signature becomes even more poignant given the topic...

Dave Sheldrake
08-16-2015, 8:28 PM
and your signature becomes even more poignant given the topic...

hehehe maybe I should add "The shopkeeper,his neighbours,his house and half the street also disappears"

adam smiz
08-24-2015, 2:31 PM
Thanks so much guys for the responses! And a special thanks to Dave, great info!

David Somers
08-24-2015, 2:41 PM
Adam,

If you need to cut wood like that, might a CNC be worth considering?

Dave

Jerome Stanek
08-24-2015, 4:04 PM
If your cutting wood a CNC router would be a way better choice. I have both and they compliment each other

adam smiz
08-25-2015, 11:44 AM
Yeah,

A cnc would be preferred. I am recently out of college and have several jobs that I do on a local laser guys machine. I have one customer who gets many custom wood parts laser cut and said he would throw them my way if I can do them. At this point I'm just trying to grab everything I can to justify the purchase of a laser to get something going for myself.