PDA

View Full Version : Need a good turning apron that is long enough. What do you use?

Randy Red Bemont
08-12-2015, 11:00 AM
I'm looking for a decent, long enough (knee length?) wood turners apron. What do you use? I'm tired and my wife is too with wood chips covering my clothes and in my shoes then ending up in the house. Thanks for any suggestions.

Red

Kyle Iwamoto
08-12-2015, 11:34 AM
I use a Turners' smock. Either the Craft Supply smock or the AAW smock. They are not long, I would think normal shirt length or a bit longer. Seeing as you lathe should be above waist level, I think that's plenty long. I also have a Tormek woodworkers apron that is knee length and I really like it, but I don't use that when turning.

Reed Gray
08-12-2015, 12:24 PM
Some use the Tyvek painter's suits. For me, I keep a broom handy. You can't blow them off with the air hose, and the broom even gets 90% of the shavings off my socks.

robo hippy

Bill Boehme
08-12-2015, 1:44 PM
An apron is useless. I'll either use a smock when turning stuff where there will be lots of chips and dust or nothing if it is just a small project like a spindle.

Roger Chandler
08-12-2015, 4:25 PM
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/leather-woodturners-shop-apron.aspx

(http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/leather-woodturners-shop-apron.aspx)http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/ProductImages/shopaccessories/116410d.jpg

I have a friend who uses one of these and loves it!

Randy Red Bemont
08-12-2015, 4:35 PM
Thanks for the responses. I thought most wear some kind of apron and I would have way too many "must haves" suggestions. I guess the dust and chips bother me more than others. I will keep searching. Thanks and if you have one you like please pass it along.

Red

allan kuntz
08-12-2015, 7:36 PM
I use the one from lee valley
Al

Thomas Canfield
08-12-2015, 10:13 PM
Kay Leonard has a classified in the East Texas Woodturners http://www.easttexaswoodturners.org/ newsletter for a turning smock. I have used one of hers for about 7 years and she also has had shoe covers. She had a booth several years back at SWAT. The material is flag stock, light weight, and sheds dust and shavings well. There is a knitted collar with Velcro closure and elastic Velcro waist strap. I don't turn without using both. The shoe covers work well to keep shavings out of shoe/boot laces.

Keith Westfall
08-13-2015, 12:09 AM
Another vote for the Lee Valley one...

Joe Bradshaw
08-13-2015, 7:36 AM
The only way to keep chips and shavings out of your clothes and house is to turn naked.
Joe

Bill White
08-13-2015, 10:14 AM
" turn naked"
WAHHHHH!
No pics PLEASE. :)
Bill

Rich Sabulsky
08-13-2015, 1:25 PM
Have you considered ankle gaiters? When I turn in shorts they do a great job of keeping the shavings out of my socks/shoes, which is how most of them get dragged into the laundry. A regular turning smock, long pants, and gaiters and you're practically bulletproof.

Rick Gibson
08-13-2015, 1:38 PM
I use the Lee Valley one, it's biggest problem is it is long sleeved and the elastic cuff acts like a magnet for chips, other than that I am happy with it.

Doug Ladendorf
08-13-2015, 2:30 PM
I picked up an AAW smock at the symposium and love it. Short sleeves, and long enough over my belt so that's not an issue. Ankle gaiters is a good idea.

Randy Red Bemont
08-14-2015, 4:59 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'll decide and order soon.

Red

Jon Murphy
09-15-2015, 1:52 AM
I've used the Lee Valley smock and several aprons, I settled on a welder's apron. I like rough leather (not a fetish, it makes a good strop for the burr on tools) but it is expensive at wood turners suppliers. I also like long as I'm partially crippled and do my side work sitting down and a nice big lap catches dropped items. My apron is about 48" bib top to bottom - that brings it well below my knees with the bib almost at my neck (I'm 5' 10") - and it cost me a bit over $30. I wish I could give you a brand name, the tag on my apron is long gone, but it is carried by several on-line welding supplies firms.

Jon

Olaf Vogel
09-15-2015, 2:28 AM
The only way to keep chips and shavings out of your clothes and house is to turn naked.
Joe

Hows that working for demos?
or are you part of a nudist Woodturning colony?

😉

Jon Murphy
09-15-2015, 3:28 AM
I replied in detail way down in the thread, but didn't know the maker. Figured it out, Tillman model 3848 is what I have. It is a welder's apron of split leather. Welder's must be more frugal than wood turners, their aprons are a lot cheaper. This apron is 48" long and by adjusting the straps you can get the bib right up to your shirt collar. I'm 5' 10" and with the bib high the apron comes a foot below my knees. Google Tillman 3848, you will find vendors at under $30 for this apron, and some over $35, balance it with the shipping charges and you should be able to get it in the range of $35.

joe marra
09-15-2015, 9:14 AM
I use Cabelas neoprene gaiters to keep sawdust and chips out of my shoes and socks, they work great.

Randy Red Bemont
09-15-2015, 9:23 AM
I did end up purchasing a welders 42" apron and it works great. It looks the same as the Tillman. It's just what I needed. Thanks for the input.

Red

terry mccammon
09-15-2015, 9:54 AM
Under the heading of smock, I use a welder's smock complete with Velcro collar and plain front. I cut the sleeves off short with my pocket knife. It does not have a cute woodturner's logo but it cost only $24 at Amazon.

I have a friend who makes serious leather aprons for turners. They are around $80 but they are very heavy duty, have a Velcro collar, are wider so they wrap around the midsection and they are custom made to come down to nearly the shoe tops. I always figured they might make sense from a personal protection standpoint.

Bill White
09-15-2015, 11:10 AM
Leather welder's apron here too. Inexpensive, and I'll never wear it out.
Bill

Dan Case LR
09-15-2015, 10:51 PM
Joe

My wife already considers my lathe to be "the other woman." If she found me turning naked, things might get ugly.:eek:

D.

Eric Schatz
09-16-2015, 12:03 PM
I use this. (http://www.harborfreight.com/split-leather-welding-apron-45193.html) You wont find anything cheaper.

mike pockoski
09-16-2015, 3:42 PM
Robo Hippy - how long do those tyvek suits last?

one time use, or are they durable enough to last a few months?

Reed Gray
09-16-2015, 3:56 PM
Mike,
I really don't know how long they last. Very tear proof for sure, I even made a hacky sack or two out of it. I turn in shorts, T shirt, and one of the smocks from Craft Supplies. I am sweating when it gets over about 60 degrees. Turning naked?! Not for me, too hairy, and the shavings would be stuck every where....

robo hippy

Robert Marshall
09-16-2015, 5:04 PM
I bought an apron designed for butchering and fish-cleaning. It has a slick vinyl surface, which repels wood chips and animal or fish guts equally well. Reasonably comfortable. Fairly long, too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083KIDP8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage