PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

Dennis Peacock
08-22-2005, 8:55 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone and I'm GLAD this one is gone. We hit a nice cool 103º F here yesterday, 102º F on Saturday and 101º F on Friday. Today? It's supposed to be a nice cool day....only in the upper 90's!!!
Man, I sure can't wait for Fall and Winter to get here.!!!!!

Friday evening was working on the cabinet project some more, made a "boo-boo" so had to take some time to fix the boo-boo's. Saturday was spent helping gather some turning stock from a buddy's house no far from me. This was a HUGE Poplar tree. Just one of the smaller limbs was 33 years old. At the base it was about 38" across. Found out that I can work in the heat but it drains everything out of me for the rest of the day....so I didn't get any cabinet work done.

Sunday as playing bass guitar at church, so it was an early rise morning and then stay and play for both services, 9AM and 11AM services. I was so whooped by the time 10PM came last night, that I got some decent sleep for a change. Spent some time with the family Sunday afternoon and evening.

Today? It's back to work for "work" and then back to working on the cabinets tonight in the cool of the shop. :D

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Jeff Sudmeier
08-22-2005, 9:16 AM
After the delay with purchasing the camper, I got back to work on the assembly of the final project of the set of SUPER SECRET projects :) Hopefully I can assemble another major part tonight and have everything assembled by the end of the week. That is the plan anyway.

The rest of the weekend was spent cleaning and golfing with my parents :)

Hope everyone has a great week!

Matt Meiser
08-22-2005, 9:20 AM
Spent the weekend in Chicago picking up some lumber. Details here. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=23418) Also got to visit Berlands House of Tools, or as my host called it, the Toy Store.

Larry Browning
08-22-2005, 9:28 AM
I managed to get a train table built and finished over the weekend. (I actually started it on Thursday) This is the one that I pestered Matt M. about until he posted the plan. It really turned out nice! I am going to make a couple of storage boxes on casters to go under it this week, so I will post pictures after those are complete.

Jim Becker
08-22-2005, 9:38 AM
I was way too lazy this weekend, getting up late, et al. But I did finish up, more or less, the new fish pond (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=23025&page=3) off the back patio and also mowed the lawn. Of course, now that all that heavy work is completed...the weather is breaking and it's only going to be in the 80s this week with low humidity. Go figure. Hopefully, I'll get back in the shop next weekend...it's time to make some sawdust and shavings. I need to do a wall-hung bookcase for the girls' room and get cracking on a few other projects that have been on the list for way too long.

DVD of the week was the The Manchurian Candidate...interesting premise.

Jim Hager
08-22-2005, 9:48 AM
Well, didn't really get much done in my shop. Too pooped out after having started back to school on Friday. Kids were ready to get back though and had no problems at all on the first day.

Saturday I ripped and order of cabinet styles for one of the local carpenters and also ripped out a kitchen full for myself. I'm gonna start on the face frames for that kitchen tonight. This kitchen is going in a house that is less than 5 years old that has a poorly planned carpenter built kitchen. The KCDW software is paying for itself with the ability for a customer to sit down with me at the computer and design what is needed.

Sunday I took my Hitachi impact driver back to Lowes in Jonesboro for them to replace. Kudos to Lowes for a no hassle exchange. Something went south with the charger and it wouldn't bring the batteries up to the top. Sunday evening I mowed the lawn then spent the rest of the evening on the front porch watching the lightning show in the west with LOML. We got some rain about 1:30 this morning.

Back to school this morning, I've run off a ream of paper into worksheets to hand out in class for the students to work on. Two more years on this job before I go full time. Just two more years, just two more years, just two more years, just two more years, just two more years, but then I only have to start school just one more time.http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Ken Fitzgerald
08-22-2005, 10:02 AM
Worked around the house...catching up on the honey do list......wife's been in Illinois since mid-July. She called Monday...she had to put her Mom in the hospital.....Wife was supposed to have returned last Tuesday...I encouraged her to remain there...(dumb me!) MIL got out of the hospital Friday. Wife changed her airline reservations and now won't be back until the 30th. School starts the 31st. I fly out to Milwaukee on the 28th. In the end it'll be 7 1/2 weeks without the LOML. After nearly 37 years of marriage, it's been a lonely time without her. In the mean time......work, laundry, yardwork......did I mention I hate my own cooking?

Keith Foster
08-22-2005, 10:33 AM
I added an "aircraft carrier" to my Grizzly arsenal. More details to follow...;)

Scott Coffelt
08-22-2005, 10:34 AM
I spent two-thirds of the weekend helping on a kitchen remodel for a client/work mate. It's a 60yo home and needed some serious upgrading in that department. Anyways, with all remodeling, it seems there is twice the work than if it was a new build. I didn't have the time to make cabinets, so they ordered from the borg. In general I like the cabinets, it is amzing how little they put into carcasses on them things. We got all cabinets in but fell short of getting buttoned up as the boneheads from the cabinet company totally missed the mark on the end panels... one not even finish, one done correctly but total chipout on the end so it looked like junk and the remainders half complete. The home owner is taking back today to have the reordered right. They can at least get the counters ordered now.

The rest of the weekend wasn't much.

Oh BTW, I used the heck out of the Festool TDD drill. Totally love it.

JayStPeter
08-22-2005, 10:42 AM
Saturday morning it was off to the wood supplier for a good amount of poplar. Sunday was hot and my family was off visiting the inlaws, so I started milling some parts for the beds I'm making the kids. A couple barrels of sawdust and it's time for some joinery. I'll make a couple jigs while I wait for a delivery from Infinity with the necessary router bits.
BTW, one of my plans for this project is to come out of it with a nice router mortising jig. If anyone has any favorite plans, PM me. I have lots of magazines from the last few years (as well as some router books) to review. TIA.

Jay

Lee DeRaud
08-22-2005, 10:53 AM
Glued up some bookmatched panels of cocobolo veneer I had resawed earlier in the week...still some minor scraping/sanding to do before they're ready for the camera. Good news is, they look gorgeous. Bad news is, I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with them: it was kind of a "practice drill" for me that worked out a lot better (and much easier) than I expected. More on this later.

Gil Mitchell
08-22-2005, 10:55 AM
first concert in about 12 years. my daughter talked me into going, dreaded it all the way there (heavy metal) house of blues in chicago.But I really enjoyed it. ED GUY from germany & HAMMER FALL from sweden anyone ever here of them.

Keith Christopher
08-22-2005, 11:18 AM
No WW for me this weekend. Took the kids out and about, replaced my grandmothers mailbox which someone drove over. I was gonna build one but as luck would have it the borg had some premade pressure treated ones so I took the easy route.

I'll be WWing all week so this was a nice break.

Steven Wilson
08-22-2005, 11:21 AM
I finally made it out into the shop some this weekend. I have been busy all summer but haven't accomplished one thing in the shop. Well, Saturday morning I went out fly fishing for awhile expecting to catch a couple of smaller browns and sure enough I found a couple of brown trout that wanted to play. On my way home I stopped by a state park I hadn't been to before to scout locations for future fishing trips and happened down to a lake. I could see a few trout cruising the edges and a couple breaking the surface out in the lake. Well after going out on the dam (to get a decent casting lane) I was able to cast a fly out into the lake a fair ways and landed a nice 18" brown trout - made for a nice dinner on Saturday.

Oh yeah the shop. I have a couple of partially completed projects so I spent Sunday out in the shop. Managed to scrape down, trim, and size a small door frame for a mantle clock I've been working on all year and finish sanded the whole piece; now it's finally ready for finishing (shellac, grain filler, shellac). I also managed to turn a couple of cork handles for some fishing rods I'm building. I really need to get these rods done before the fall steelhead run.

Jim O'Dell
08-22-2005, 11:30 AM
I got the cyclone install started. Had hoped to have it all up, but ran into some problems that took a little more time. I have the motor and impeller hung, and this Sat. am I'll mount the cyclone body and blower shroud. Pictures can be found on my shop rehab thread. Jim

Don Baer
08-22-2005, 11:32 AM
I got rid of the pool table from my garage. It was great to have when the boys were growing up but now that theve moved out and have families of their own it was taking up space in my shop and not being used. Now I have the whole garage to myself. I pretty much spent the rest of the weekend organising the shop now I have a 2 car garage to play with so I can move in the bandsaw and make permate bases for the Scrollsaw and the joiner. I guess its time to look for a planner and the shop will be pretty much complete. Maybe make a new bench...:rolleyes:

Steve Clardy
08-22-2005, 2:25 PM
Got some doors done on a cabinet job saturday. Kinda goofed off sunday, fixing things in the shop.

Got my kreg miter saw stop installed, and hung up 28 clamps that have sat on the floor for almost two years in the way.:)

Donnie Raines
08-22-2005, 2:44 PM
Got back from 10 days of vacation. Went to Myrtle Beach, ate lots-o sea food, lot-o swimming and lots-o golf. Made our way through the Smokies on the way back. Great time had by all!

Vaughn McMillan
08-22-2005, 2:57 PM
Spent far too much time this weekend doing "work" work, both at home and at the office. Also did the typical weekend house chores that we all know and love.

Shop-wise, I milled a bit of stock and got it glued up for the next go-round of cutting boards, and worked on another couple that are in progress. Also started the vertical sled I'm building to go with the TS fence extension I built recently. Will post pics of both the extension and sled when it's all finished.

- Vaughn

Bob Johnson2
08-22-2005, 4:50 PM
Too humid to do much outdoors other then a quick 9 holes so I spent most of it in the basement shop, 70 sure feels nice when it's in the mid to high 80's outside. Coming along on some TV trays. Tried resawing for the 1st time, some 5/4" spanish cedar to 3/8", the band saw did well. Watched Tiger win another million.

Fighting a loosing battle with the bugs eating all my roses, too hot and dry I guess. Sure wish they'ed learn to eat the weeds.

Larry Browning
08-22-2005, 6:23 PM
Too humid to do much outdoors other then a quick 9 holes so I spent most of it in the basement shop, 70 sure feels nice when it's in the mid to high 80's outside. Coming along on some TV trays. Tried resawing for the 1st time, some 5/4" spanish cedar to 3/8", the band saw did well. Watched Tiger win another million.

Fighting a loosing battle with the bugs eating all my roses, too hot and dry I guess. Sure wish they'ed learn to eat the weeds.

We here in Arkansas can only dream of mid to high 80's. Heck, that sounds more like overnight lows! Yesterday, we had about 97% humidity and it got to 102. Thank goodness for AC!!!!!!

Dan Forman
08-22-2005, 6:51 PM
Buy weekend for me, split between yardwork and the shop. The house I bought a year and a half ago had sat vacant for a whole summer, and the yard is a mess. Last year I pulled a bunch of weeds, which resulted in a lot of bare spaces that haven't really filled in very well. So I have been encroaching on the lawn with my garden, and transplanting tufts of grass into the "bald spots", kind of like that hair guy in the white lab coat on tv a few years ago.

Shop wise, I made a zero clearance insert for the table saw, built a mallet and saw handle for a japanese saw, and practiced cutting dovetails. The mallet works great for chopping out waste, can't say much for my ability to saw a straight kerf though. :( To work out the frustration over said dovetails, I did some reorganizing, clearing out some of the clutter which has accumulated. Oh yeah, I also spent a lot of time breaking down cardboard boxes, mostly from machines and shop supplies which have been building up over the last 6 months, some of which were contributing to the aforementioned clutter.

Dan