PDA

View Full Version : 'Rotary Engravers' - what do you use?

Mike Clarke
08-12-2015, 9:15 AM
I am just wondering what do you guys that have rotary machines use.

We have Xenetech's now. Originally we used Dahlgrens and then Western tables. So around 95? we went from Dahlgren to Xenetech software and then Xenetech tables later. I still have a bunch of parts pieces from the various systems.

Before all that I started on pantographs. Hew Hermes was the brand. When Computerized engravers came out we bought Dahlgrens. The spindle was activated on the Z with an air cylinder. TRS-80 was the computer. We saved jobs to a cassette recorder! Back then we printed a backup of the layouts on a dot matrix printer. We got the 5.25 floppy disk at some point. Then we got fancy and added a microswitch to control the spindle motor. The system didn't have limit switches IIRC.

Xenetech hardware last a long time.

What hardware and or software do y'all like.

Mike Null
08-12-2015, 11:51 AM
I'm using a Newing Hall with a power base and Engravlab software. I have never been a fan of Engravlab but I use it mostly for text and that's its strong suit.

NH is well built, completely upgradable, and the tech support has been outstanding.

Mark Sipes
08-12-2015, 12:48 PM
I have 2 Hewing Hall 350's, both get used every day. They are work horses.

Tony Lenkic
08-12-2015, 1:54 PM
Xenetech 1625 here running since 1995 upgraded to Viper electronics. Second 1625 with old controllers on standby.

Kev Williams
08-12-2015, 4:35 PM
Hmm, long or short version? :D
(I'll try to condense the long version)

Circa mid 1950's, my dad, a machinist at Hill AFB, learns to engrave on a Gorton 3-U

Circa 1959 dad moves to Litton Industries, becomes machine shop floor supervisor.
He finds out they have a Scripta pantograph upstairs in some loft. When I was about 8 years old I watched as he engraved desk nameplates for a few new employees.

1966, dad decides to buy his own engraver, a Scripta 3D machine.
To run it in 2D required a pantograph lock and an up/down spindle attachment. Took him a couple of months for those to show up. In the meantime, he engraved nameplates and ID tags in 3D 'mode', which involved very carefully pulling the solid-mounted stylus (and the entire pantograph & spindle assembly) into the master type, hitting the grooves just right. I don't think he ever missed. :)

1969, we moved into the house I'm sitting in right now.

1972-ish, he picked up a 1940's Gorton 3-U "deep throat" machine, so he could make master templates for the Scripta.

1974-ish, he picked up the first of what would be 5 New Hermes IRX-IV pantographs. I still have one of them.

1975, dad picked up a brand new Gorton P1-2, which is essentially a 3-U with a different number.

1981, hello computerized engraving! We picked up a New Hermes Concept 2000. It worked out so well we got another one a year later.
That one is being used as I type this by my brother-in-law. It's had the Q1E retrofit done to it which took care of all the original power issues. If ever there was a bulletproof machine, the Concept 2000 is it. And it still engraves as nice as it did 34 years ago. The original machine has been out in a storage shed since:

1989, when I got my first New Hermes Vanguard 5000XT's. It took away the need for the first C2000, so it's been stored..

1991-ish. I bought my New Hermes rep's Vanguard 5000 demo unit, that had about a million miles on it. Other than it lost the auto motor on/off function (which I can fix for $100) all I've ever done to it is make a couple of lead screw couplers and replaced the X-axis stepper motor, about 15 years ago. It still runs just fine, it's my "cowbell" machine. It still runs off the old proprietary Motorola computer (although I'm about ready to fit an EP module to it like I did to the XT's)

1995-ish, I needed a cylinder engraver, so I got a New Hermes V3400 CL, which is just a regular 3400 but with legs and a vice attachment to accommodate the cylinder attachment. Right this minute it's engraving intake manifolds for Volkswagens, right behind me...

Around 1997 my NH rep took in a V5000XT on trade, which I picked up, so that's two. I've had to buy nothing but normal maintenance and 'wear-out' parts for these machines.

Around 2000 my rep had a V3400 that I bought...

Around 2005, a friend of mine sold me his V3400 for a song...

2012, I picked up a factory refurbished Gravograph (New Hermes) IS400 point-n-shoot.

2013, I found a New Hermes V3200 machine and full equipment for $500. It's identical to the 3400 except the spindle is air-operated, not stepper...

later in 2013 I picked up an 8 year old Gravograph IS7000.

Can you guess my brand loyalty? ;)

The Scripta was sold sometime in the '70's, and the 2 Gortons and 4 of the pantographs got sold, I forget when... All the others are I still have, and other than the stored C2000 they all get used regularly. Well, the V3200 not so much, but once in awhile.

And finally, our NH rep (or his boss in the early days) sold us every machine listed above. My many EP modules sometimes need a fix which I let him do. Other than those. I've never paid him or anyone else a dime to repair or maintain any of my machines (including the lasers)

Keith Winter
08-12-2015, 10:27 PM
We have two Signature Engravers. Workhorses, each is 12-15 years old, never a problem.

Chris J Anderson
08-14-2015, 10:18 AM
Gravograph IS400, software is a bit clunky but I'm getting used to it, and warming to it the more I use it...

Mechanically - this thing is like a Swiss watch, it is a seriously well made machine, I do a lot of stainless steel engraving, I cut to .2mm (0.008") in one cut with 2.5mm cutter.

It wasn't cheap but I am now enjoying the fruits of owning a well made machine that is built to last.

cheers,
Chris