PDA

View Full Version : what clamps needed to make king sized bed frame using 2x6 wood

tom coleman
08-12-2015, 3:59 AM
I am leaving my Maine lakeside cottage next week to fly to Los Gatos CA to build my dau a king sized bed. Never made a bed before. Saw a great design in a Taunton book on pocket hole joinery. Author used doewlmax pro $240 for positioning boards coupled with lots of 2 1/2 inch pocket screws for joinery. I cannot justify the dowelmax for one project and am looking at LV self centering dowelling jig for $60. Would appreciate comments on this jig' Heard that this identical to woodcraft version

I need to clamp the head board while inserting pocket holes. My thought is to buy 2 Bessey 50 inch K-clamps and couple them to cover this large width. Any suggestions

Lastly, I have the Kreg jig version 4 and am quite happy w it. However I have never had a need to drill pocket hoes near the ends of 6 foot and 7 foot 2x6s. Do I simply remover the pocket hole bushing mechanism from my jig and clamp it to the 2x6 where I want the pocket holes

thanks

glenn bradley
08-12-2015, 8:25 AM
These occasional long-reach projects are why I have a dozen pipe clamp heads and sections of pipe. That being said, pipe clamps are generally my last choice unless the job is suited to them. If you want an excuse to buy long clamps that you will use on dressers, hutches and other larger scale pieces I would go with the parallels. If they will set idle for years between use, I would spend less and get a good quality (and larger quantity) of pipe clamps.

Side note - I use galvanized 3/4" pipe and have sine forever. There are some strong feelings on this subject for reasons I do not understand ;-)

John Schweikert
08-12-2015, 8:59 AM
Ratchet straps are incredibly strong. Use blocks to protect the wood. If you are concerned about squaring then cut some plywood triangles.

Jim Dwight
08-12-2015, 10:04 AM
Could even use tie down straps wrapped around the headboard and footboard to hold things in place while you drive the pocket screws. They will pull the joint tight. Strap clamps or tie downs are also easy to transport.

I use only pipe clamps. They can be a bit frustrating but they work.

My pocket jig is not a Kreg but it doesn't have any issue clamping to the end of a long board. From the pictures I see of the Kreg, I don't think it would either. The jig will have to be in a different position than it would be on little boards on a bench but it should work. If not, mine has a secondary piece you can screw to the main drill guide piece and then clamp wherever on your work. I think Kreg offers something like this and maybe includes it in their top level kit. If not, the Kreg jr works this way.

Keith Hankins
08-12-2015, 10:52 AM
pocket holes for a kingsize bed? Why not just use bed bolts and do a mortice on the posts(router and chisel to square hole), and a tenon(router made with box jig) on the rails Makes for easy put up/take down. Only clamps needed for my bed was laminating the rails so they would be stronger and not twist or bow. All you will need is a drill a couple bits and the bed bolts. Charlse neils making a period bed is a great Vid. My king size has been going a good while and no extra bracing or support post in the middle under neath His design is rock solid.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/22447246@N06/KV7MM8

Charles Wiggins
08-12-2015, 11:37 AM
I need to clamp the head board while inserting pocket holes. My thought is to buy 2 Bessey 50 inch K-clamps and couple them to cover this large width. Any suggestions

I have a lot of 3/4" pipe clamps and I intentionally bought 36" & 48" threaded pipe and couplers (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-3-4-in-Black-Malleable-Iron-FPT-x-FPT-Coupling-521-204HN/100019280) so I could make ~6 foot, ~7 foot, and ~8 foot clamps as needed. That's what I used when I build our king headboard.

Robert Payne
08-12-2015, 4:56 PM
Given that the OP is flying from Maine to California to build a bed for his daughter, I suspect he won't have room in his luggage for pipe of K-Body clamps guys! I agree that some good bed bolt sets and some ratchet band clamps will do just fine. If you are holding some boards in the headboard while drilling pocket holes, then some Irwin Quik Clamps would work very adequately. JMTCW.

Charles Wiggins
08-12-2015, 5:53 PM
That's the beauty of pipe clamps. You can get all the parts at any home center. He could order everything for in-store pickup and they should have waiting for him when he arrives, and it's a lot less to leave behind than a K-body when he gets ready to go home.

Since you're planning to do pocket holes would corner clamps do?

319495 319496 319497

tom coleman
08-13-2015, 1:41 AM
Ratchet straps are incredibly strong. Use blocks to protect the wood. If you are concerned about squaring then cut some plywood triangles.
Great suggestion, why did I not think of that!

Kent A Bathurst
08-13-2015, 2:30 AM
These occasional long-reach projects are why I have a dozen pipe clamp heads and sections of pipe. That being said, pipe clamps are generally my last choice unless the job is suited to them. If you want an excuse to buy long clamps that you will use on dressers, hutches and other larger scale pieces I would go with the parallels. If they will set idle for years between use, I would spend less and get a good quality (and larger quantity) of pipe clamps.

Side note - I use galvanized 3/4" pipe and have sine forever. There are some strong feelings on this subject for reasons I do not understand ;-)

Pipe clamps. Pipe threaded both ends, with splices/couplers for extended length.

They work great. Always have. I use parallel clamps regularly, but I am not wedded to them. I have a huge collection of pipe clamps that have never let me down, in virtually all lengths and applications.

Glenn knows a lot about everything . Glenn is clever. Glenn drove it through the guard rails on the galvanized, for reasons I do not understand. :p

Dan Rude
08-13-2015, 10:31 AM
You want the kreg HD pocket hole jig for this and the jessum doweling jig. The HD pocket screws are for structural use. It will also fit your k-4 jig. The jessum has 3 sizes. Or look up custom dowel jigs by Phil Thein, he makes them all the time. Dan

Greg Hines, MD
08-13-2015, 1:51 PM
If the daughter has the clamps already and you are just looking to extend them, you can also make some bridges for shorter clamps. Take a piece of plywood about 3-4" wide and drill holes in each end for the head of the clamp, then, you use that to make two clamps together. Otherwise, a strap clamp would probably be the most efficient way to clamp up the headboard for your pocket screws.

I have the Kreg HD jig, and it works well. You will need the larger size of Robertson Drive, as well as the HD screws, which are longer and thicker than the usual

Doc