PDA

View Full Version : I'm outliving my tools - and I guess that's a good thing.

Todd Burch
08-11-2015, 3:57 PM
I can remember a time, when I was a younger man, when I would go through estate and garage sale fodder, and I would see old tools in poor or broken shape, much of the obsolescence due to time itself and the drying out of critical parts. I would think to myself about how long the owner must have had those tools and what the tool's life must have been like.

Now, it seems I can do the same thing with my tools. I was building a couple drying racks the other day, and just as I was finishing up (thank goodness), this happened:

And just two weeks ago, I went to use my 15" wide belt sander, and blew an airline. It had dry rotted.

I am now that old man. :( This sucks!

Ted Reischl
08-11-2015, 4:28 PM
I can remember a time, when I was a younger man, when I would go through estate and garage sale fodder, and I would see old tools in poor or broken shape, much of the obsolescence due to time itself and the drying out of critical parts. I would think to myself about how long the owner must have had those tools and what the tool's life must have been like.

Now, it seems I can do the same thing with my tools. I was building a couple drying racks the other day, and just as I was finishing up (thank goodness), this happened:

And just two weeks ago, I went to use my 15" wide belt sander, and blew an airline. It had dry rotted.

I do not think so, that nail you drove in there as a young man finally killed the rubber.

Todd Burch
08-11-2015, 4:33 PM
Factory nail. Not my drive.

Andrew Hughes
08-11-2015, 6:18 PM
Dust in the wind, we are just dust in the wind.💨

Lee Schierer
08-11-2015, 7:58 PM
Time to buy one of these.
And it won't leave black marks on your work.

Paul Snowden
08-11-2015, 9:59 PM
On the plus side the tools you buy now will last the young woodworker that uses them next until he is older.

ian maybury
08-12-2015, 5:37 AM
60th birthday is definitely one that sets the scene. Even in good health there's stuff that isn't what it was, and pretty clearly a limited time left. I was only getting used to being a teenager...

Curt Harms
08-12-2015, 10:09 AM

And the alternative is? :eek:.

John McClanahan
08-12-2015, 10:09 AM
It needs a few more nails! :D:D

Mike Schuch
08-12-2015, 2:36 PM
I am 47 and I don't really like any of my tools that aren't older than I am! If I find a tool that is 47 years old or older and is still in serviceable shape then I assume it will easily last the rest of my lifetime. Tools from the 60's and older don't have much plastic to dry rot! Rubber like the rubber on you mallet will get hard over time and eventually fail. My grandfather's hammer still drives a nail as good as the day he bought it... if the hammer is held in a competent hand.

Charles E. Bishop
08-13-2015, 5:26 PM
We're NOT Teenagers??? Damn!! I just turned nineteen eight days and fifty years ago...............................................
Charles.

Bruce Wrenn
08-13-2015, 9:27 PM
I'm fast approaching seventy, and have a Sawzall that is only a few years younger than me. It will probably still be running when I'm not.