PDA

View Full Version : Router spacer - is a space ball ok?

Rich Engelhardt
08-11-2015, 11:09 AM
I'm going to install a spacer of some kind in my router collect so the bits can't bottom out.
I have some space balls.
Will a space ball work or should I run out and pick up a rubber faucet washer?

Chris Padilla
08-11-2015, 11:19 AM
I use an o-ring in mine. Space balls will fall out eventually.

George Bokros
08-11-2015, 11:28 AM
I use rubber grommets. In my PC i have at least three because the collet is so deep.

Peter Quinn
08-11-2015, 12:17 PM
A space ball should work in a pinch, but there is nothing keeping it in if the the collet is 1/2", might even fall out of a 1/4" collet eventually. Mine have o rings in them that seem to stay in place quite nicely.

Ole Anderson
08-11-2015, 1:10 PM
Space balls work fine, just keep a few on hand to pop in when they eventually fall out. That is what I use.

Rich Engelhardt
08-13-2015, 7:33 AM
Thanks!

The router in question lives in the table so I should be ok with space balls not falling out.

George Bokros
08-13-2015, 7:38 AM
You getting close on the cabinets Rich?

Rich Engelhardt
08-13-2015, 7:56 AM
Yep - -probably next week.
My wife has the kitchen painted and all I have to do there is go back and remud & sand some areas.

I'm going to run a bunch of rails and stiles for the doors and face frames today on the table saw.
I have to vacuum all the mouse droppings out of the router table and haul it over to the house this weekend.

God willing and the river don't rise.......probably next Friday I'll be looking to start.

What's your schedule look like?
I'm real flexible on the when part. I still have a lot of other stuff that needs done.

Keith Hankins
08-13-2015, 9:00 AM
[QUOTE=George Bokros;2454090]I use rubber grommets. In my PC i have at least three because the collet is so deep.[/QUOTE

+1 what he said. Been using that since I attended a Sommerfield bit demo at a wood show.