PDA

View Full Version : FYI: Windows 10 Terms of Use

Charles Wiggins
08-11-2015, 8:48 AM
This is an FYI. Please do not turn this into a political or otherwise incendiary discussion.

From Tech Times: Windows 10 Spies On You By Default: Here's How To Opt Out (http://www.techtimes.com/articles/73725/20150802/windows-10-spies-on-you-by-default-heres-how-to-opt-out.htm)

"We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary," says Microsoft in its Windows 10 privacy statement.

The TOU in question: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/default.aspx The above quote is from the "Reasons We Share Personal Data" section.

Rich Engelhardt
08-11-2015, 10:31 AM
Wow....
Interesting stance. It looks like MS is saying that since a user might store something on Microsoft owned equipment, then Micorsoft has the right to open and examine any files a user has, no matter where they are located physically.

That's sort of like saying that, as a landlord, I have the right to open and read any email my tenants get - either at home or at work!

I can't see this holding up - but - with the goofyness going on in today's world you never know.

Jason Beam
08-11-2015, 10:51 AM
Um... rather selective in your quoting here, no?

Here's the entire segment from which the above snippet is taken out of context:

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to:

comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies;
protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone;
operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or
protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services - however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer's private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.

Not quite as bad when you read the whole sentence, at least, no?

Charles Wiggins
08-11-2015, 10:58 AM
Um... rather selective in your quoting here, no?

If you look back, I was quoting Tech Times, which included the TOU quote.

Not quite as bad when you read the whole sentence, at least, no?

I am leaving that for folks to decide for themselves. That's why I directed folks to the full TOU, so each could decide how concerned to be about it and what, if any, action to take.

Matt Meiser
08-11-2015, 11:13 AM
Sounds even better to selectively quote just this part.

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders)

Jason Beam
08-11-2015, 5:49 PM
If you look back, I was quoting Tech Times, which included the TOU quote.

You chose an incomplete quote instead of the whole thing - I fail to see a distinction you're making. I guess you are fine with it, so that's all that matters.

Myk Rian
08-11-2015, 8:37 PM
I prefer quotes to show the entire substance of a statement.

Charles Wiggins
08-11-2015, 10:19 PM
You chose an incomplete quote instead of the whole thing - I fail to see a distinction you're making. I guess you are fine with it, so that's all that matters.

Maybe next time I'll just keep it to myself instead of trying to help folks.

Jason Beam
08-11-2015, 11:21 PM
Maybe next time I'll just keep it to myself instead of trying to help folks.

That's certainly your prerogative. I just thought that the cited site and the partial quote was a little incomplete and smelled a little like pushing an agenda instead of informing people. Why make me go hunt down the rest of the quote when you went through all the trouble to point out where to find it in the first place? Wouldn't it have been easier (and more helpful) to give the whole context?

Selective quoting is something I'm very suspicious of and I'm sorry that my calling it out didn't sit well with you - that wasn't my intent.

Fred Perreault
08-12-2015, 6:41 AM
It seems that the "selective quote" captured the whole thing while avoiding having to use extra cyber ink. The terms of use are now, as they have always been, intentionally vague. If MSFT actually wanted to "protect it's customers", they would do things a lot differently. "he said, she said",..... all EULAs are intentionally vague and full of holes, not unlike the current NFL football flap. The more that computing goes to the cloud, the less likely that the customer will be "protected" by anyone from anything.

Glenn Clabo
08-12-2015, 6:57 AM
Thread closed. Points made...enough said.