PDA

View Full Version : Borer-killed Ash?

ryan paulsen
08-11-2015, 7:23 AM
I have a near-dead Ash in my yard that fell victim to the Ash Borer which will need to come down soon. It looks like I have about 25-30' of clear log at the base, guessing ~30" DBH. would it be worth it to get this milled up? What would you typically use ash for? I have become a wood hoarder, and would hate for the whole tree to get tossed in the chipper, but also don't want to waste my time and money for pallet wood. Thanks.

Curt Harms
08-11-2015, 9:17 AM
Ash looks sorta like oak and is used similarly. The ash I've used has had more prominent flat sawn grain than oak. I'm not sure if that's typical or not. It's well worth having milled IMO. Just be sure to burn the bark and maybe a little of the wood under the bark to make sure any borer eggs or larvae are destroyed. I'm sure there are guidelines for milling borer infested wood online.

John Fairbairn III
08-11-2015, 9:24 AM
Ryan,
My area is just now becoming infested with that scourge. Our Dept of Enviro Conservation has many requirements - the main two are limiting transportation and, no matter what, it must be kiln dried. Even firewood that contains ash must be kiln dried before it can be transported to avoid spreading it (like anyone is going to kiln dry firewood). It is probably a folly to think we can stop the spread - but we must try. We have cut a little bit of ash - no signs of that borer yet - but it has been verified to be here.

Chestnut - Elm - Ash - Maple (Asian longhorn beetle) -------------- there won't be much left if we keep letting these pests, etc. into the country on pallets...
Don't forget the Hemlock wooly adelgid, too.

John TenEyck
08-11-2015, 9:40 AM
White ash is beautiful, a lot like red oak only white. I like it best rift sawn; very nice tight parallel lines. I made this vanity from white ash:

John

Cody Colston
08-11-2015, 10:49 AM
Ash is sometimes called Poor Man's Oak. :) The EAB hasn't made it down here yet but I did saw up a couple of nice Ash logs this past spring from a tree that died on a friend's farm. It's pretty wood IMHO.

Lee Pickart
08-11-2015, 10:07 PM
Ash is great wood. In fact a lot of the so called golden oak furniture of the late 19th and early 20th century is actually ash. Made great baseball bats that didn't explode like brash maple and maim spectators.

ian maybury
08-12-2015, 5:40 AM
Ash is very widely used here in Ireland, and seen very much as a species in its own right. Especially for anything needing a strong and tough wood that looks good too...

ryan paulsen
08-12-2015, 9:08 AM
Thanks guys. Any particular ways to saw it better than others? I already hear rift, anyone else? Also, would it be a bad idea to slab some of it out? I wonder if the grub tracks might make for some cool details. Just thinking out loud here, next step is to convince my wife that this is a good idea...

Tom Hogard
08-12-2015, 11:13 AM
Ash is very nice, light-colored, wood. Very versatile and strong. Can be steam bent and even woven into baskets. EAB is just getting to Kansas. EAB does not damage the wood, they exist just under the bark. If it is in your area, and you want a live edge, then you would have to kiln dry, otherwise, remove the bark when milling and burn the trimmings.

We have a few counties under federal quarantine at this time so keep up with your local restrictions. The pest moves pretty slowly on its own, the biggest factor in spreading it is moving firewood and logs long distances. The quicker you get it down and milled, the quicker you'll be able to start using it. I have heard that areas with heavy infestations haven't been able to keep up with the supply of dead trees. A lot of good information is available at www.emeraldsashborer.info (http://www.emeraldsashborer.info)

John TenEyck
08-12-2015, 10:32 PM
As a follow up on the EAB, there was a piece on the news the other day (Buffalo, NY) that a local park has to cut down about 200 ash trees infested with and and dying from those little buggers. Looks like there is going to be a glut of ash in the coming years - and then nearly none.

John

Malcolm Schweizer
08-12-2015, 10:42 PM
Thanks guys. Any particular ways to saw it better than others? I already hear rift, anyone else? Also, would it be a bad idea to slab some of it out? I wonder if the grub tracks might make for some cool details. Just thinking out loud here, next step is to convince my wife that this is a good idea...

Flat sawn, then glued up with the edges (quarter sawn edges) as the top of your new workbench.

Scott T Smith
08-13-2015, 8:40 AM

Ryan, if it were me here is how I would mill it.

First, buck the butt log into a length about 12" longer than you would want a table. Assuming a 10' table I would buck it to 11'. That should leave you with a couple of 9' logs from the upper section. Apply end sealer immediately after bucking to all log ends.

Take the butt log and have it milled into full width live edge slabs and remove the bark. Have the sawyer "center the pith" on both ends so that all of the pith wood is captured in one slab (it will crack as it dries). In order to allow room for shrinkage and cupping, I would suggest milling the slabs at 3" thick. They will shrink down to 2-1/2" to 2-3/4" after drying, which should allow ample room to S2S them at 1-3/4" - 2".

Quarter/rift saw the middle log, and if the upper log is still >18" small end diameter then quarter/rift saw it as well; otherwise have it flat sawn. It is not practical to mill a log to only yield rift sawn lumber; the best that you can do will be a mix of quarter and rift (which looks great with ash)!

Air dry under cover (with weights on the slabs or locate the slabs at the bottom of your stack) for 1 - 2 years and then have the lumber finished off in a local kiln.

Larry Edgerton
08-13-2015, 6:28 PM
At least in my area, you only have about a year from the time the beetles get them to the wood in the log starting to show spalding. Mine are all dead, sawn, dried and stacked in the shed.

Ash is my favorite domestic. Has no bad habits, and finishes beautifully. Makes me sad that it is gone.

ryan paulsen
08-14-2015, 7:10 AM
Thanks guys, this is all very helpful. I've got a plan now when we have to drop the tree.

Kevin Beitz
08-28-2018, 7:07 PM
Great for trailer planking and axe handles...

Rod Sheridan
09-02-2018, 5:43 PM
I quarter sawed 20 logs, very nice wood...........Rod.

Jim Andrew
09-06-2018, 9:21 PM
Where I live in Kansas, the borers are bad in ash. About the only way I can use it is to spray the bark as soon as the tree hits the ground, or the borers dig into the wood, and after you saw the boards, the boards are ruined by borers that were already there. I don't like using chemicals, but seems like the only way to save ash is to spray the bark.